cliffhanger resolved?.would you like a reboot?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Doug mentioned he would explain what happened at the end of series 8 in the last episode of RDX. It suddenly dawned on me that the situation at the end of the series (the whole crew of Red Dwarf alive) actually allows for a reboot. What if Rimmer was rescued and is back on a version of Red Dwarf in the parallel universe with the rest of the crew? Would you support a reboot that explains the whole backstory again for new viewers?

2. trollsb

trollsb First Technician

I don't like reboots, plus I like self referential jokes - a reboot should really kill those.

3. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

I would like to see a follow-up from the cliff-hanger of series 8.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I'd favour any reboot that meant that series 8 never happened.

5. AmandaKnox

AmandaKnox Third Technician

Aaw I loved series 8 :-(

Would like to see what happened to Rimmer at the end

6. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

No chance. A new series is one thing, but a reboot wouldn't be a good idea

7. MichaelJRimmer

MichaelJRimmer Second Technician

On the Jupiter Corporation Mining Ship Red Dwarf
    I like the idea for rebooting it and making Back in the Red happen, but without the Crew, and have them have to adjust to a new ship, that would have been amazing. Then continue after BTE.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

No. I'm not a fan of reboots or retcons in general and I tend to regard them as lazy writing, the modern equivilent of Bobby Ewing stepping out of the shower and the intervening season(s) all just being a dream. Don't write yourself a cliffhanger or story arc that you can't write your way out of. I'd rather have no explanation or conclusion to the Series 8 cliffhanger than to have it resolved by the new series effectively saying "Actually, that never happened to begin with." That would be very disappointing.

9. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Reboot?!? God no. Just make it funny!!! Is that too much to ask?!? Who cares about explaining a silly cliffhanger. Series 6 ended on a cool cliffhanger that was quickly dealt with in that awful opening episode of series 7 but so much time had passed that no one cared!!

10. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

I'm proud of you. You went an entire comment without using the angry :x face.

11. simulant37

Why are you proud of me?!? Whoever the hell you are?!? :x

Oh & STAY ON TOPIC!!! :x

12. bedfordfalls

Can everyone please stop winding up Simulant. It's tedious to see this happening in nearly every thread.

13. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Reboots can be good (Star Trek, Batman Trilogy) or they can be bad but I don't think they're right for Red Dwarf at this time.

The good thing about Red Dwarf is there's no need to pretend the guys are all 25 any more. They CAN age (with maybe a line about Rimmer being reprogrammed to simulate aging so not to depress Lister with his youth, and keeping Lister going is Rimmer's primary reason for being, remember) and the series can jump in with a similar amount of character aging time (not counting stasis ) without looking like they're kidding themselves, age wise.

So no, we don't need a reboot. Maybe in ten years or so, a spinoff in the same universe with a simulant hunter or a race of Gelf trying so hard to become human or something (these are terrible Ideas, I'm sorry), but not yet.

14. bedfordfalls

A spin off featuring the prison ship premise of series 8 minus the Red Dwarf regulars actually might have been quite enjoyable.

15. simulant37

No it wouldn't have.

16. ghastly98

Well it certainly has some potential ;-)

17. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

I don't think it would be; Dwarf is essentially a sitcom with science fiction plotlines, based around the relationship between Rimmer and Lister. I think the loss of this dynamic made Series VII suffer, and the change in focus was detrimental to Series VIII.
    I suppose if they changed it to a sci-fi TV show with comedic elements based on the Red Dwarf crew, there may be some sort of success but i) This will NEVER happen ii) It would simply not be Red Dwarf; they may as well commission a completely different show.

And simulant, you should back your opinions up or they seem arrogant, and I'm sure this isn't your intention at all.

18. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Even then though they strike me as lazy. What I mean is that rather than invent new characters or develop the existing world/universe/story further the writers took IMO the easier way out of re-using (And inevitably changing) existing characters with carte blanche to change anything in that continuity they want because it's a reboot whilst piggy backing onto the success and recognition of the original characters and material.

I'd much rather see the story and characters developed onwards in a particular setting, rather than have the reset button pressed because something or someone's started to seem a bit dated or the writers wrote a cliffhanger ending that they, now, might struggle to convincingly write their way out of.

No spin-offs either for me please. I can't think of many spin-off shows that were much good, Friends/Joey, Only Fools/Green, green grass, Family Guy/Cleveland, Everybody loves/hates Raymond/Chris (Well, both were equally dismal IMO, but that's another thread), they pretty much always just seem a cheap and, again, lazy way of milking a pre-existing series for a bit more and usually past its best. Besides, there's no way even Red Dwarf has the recognition now let alone in another ten years to warrant a separate spin-off. Let's face it, it took over ten years to get another production of the original setting.

I do agree on one thing though. Those really are terrible ideas... ;-)

I'm going to agree with Simulant37 here, that sounds terrible. I'd imagine that would combine most of the least liked aspects of Series 8 without the redeeming feature of the Red Dwarf characters we know and love from the previous Series. Besides, there's enough grumbling still reverberating a decade and a half later about Rimmer leaving mid-Series 7, imagine the whinging if Lister, Kochanski, Kryten, Cat and Holly all followed suit too...

In summary, IMO: Spin Offs in general, no. Red Dwarf Spin Off, double no.

19. ghastly98

Now, I believe what the OP is referring to is a reboot in the sense of ignoring previous continuity and starting fresh while still being part of that continuity. No more mentions of previous events, and starting with new ideas completely fresh.