Back to Earth: The Whole Thing

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Lee

Lee Third Technician

2. RezCycle

RezCycle Skutter

I'm surprised at the extremely negative reaction to this special. Well, I guess I can sort of understand... I watched the first episode and thought it started out well but took a turn for the worse in the second, deciding I'd just watch all three eps back to back instead. I enjoyed it much more this way and I think it’s the only way to experience the special. Breaking it up into three episodes was a mistake in my opinion, as I really don’t think it was built for it, but I can understand Dave doing it for the extra commercial cash and what not.

I saw it as a loving tribute/roasting of the fans, the show and the science fiction that inspired it, a fitting concept for a (possibly) one off anniversary special. I think some people are forgetting that’s what it is, an anniversary special! It may not have felt quite like a true Red Dwarf experience and a few jokes fell flat, but it also features some of my favourite new gags. I’m certainly glad it exists and will thank all involved by purchasing the DVD as soon as it’s released, secretly hoping it will contribute towards a new series.

So, not quite brilliant, no, but was still one heck of a fun ride. Thanks for getting the Boys from the Dwarf back together!

As a side note, I don’t think it really fits in with the rest of the series, it feels more like Doug just took the bits and pieces he needed to make the special work, explaining why it’s the older Rimmer onboard. Again, this is fitting for a special.

Oh, and I don’t think it’s OUR world they visit… it’s a world with Bladerunnerish buildings popped about London, and where fictional characters materialise frequently if what the Comic Book Guy said is anything to go by.

3. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    But Doug knew how it was going to be shown so you can't really blame that on Dave.

A few people seem to have been using this almost as an excuse and I'm not really sure what they mean. Do you mean because it is only a special it is allowed to be rubbish or what?

4. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

I still dont get this either - but come to think of it most other "specials" of TV shows have also indeed been rubbish too - so maybe it does get a pass afterall. Personally i think in the last one Lister should have attempted to jump a huge asteroid shaped like a shark on his space bike - now that's tongue in cheek!

5. Domhorner

Domhorner Skutter

Ok so what just happened???

Ten years with no new episodes and no movie and what do we get? A Hilgelty-pilgelty mish-mash of old recycled storylines lousy gags and blade runner references, am I the only one who feels just a wee bit short-changed?

Good stuff: Craig Charles did really well, he managed to pull off some really convincing acting, no mean feat on red dwarf. A COUPLE of decent jokes, the one about the video shop guys small penis had me laughing out loud. What else….errr… I liked the Cats swimsuit. That was good.

Bad stuff. Where to start? How about the fact that Rimmer just wasn’t funny in any of his scenes (the control room scene for example), or that Kryten was given nothing to do apart from make dumb post-box jokes. Or maybe the crap CGI scutters they weren’t much fun to look at were they?? The fact that the script felt like a first draft, the tedious Blade runner scenes (what exactly was the point? In fact don’t answer that, I’ve just realised I don’t care) the fact that the plot made NO SENSE…none.
    Perhaps the worst thing of all was the overriding feeling that the show is simply past its sell by date and running on fumes.

I’ve noticed a few posters on this forum who’ve suggested that expectations were ‘too high’ for BTE. Well no actually, red dwarf has been away for ten years, is it too much to ask for a few decent laughs and a cohesive script? For those of you who enjoyed BTE I say good for you, I’m jealous I wish I could’ve seen what you saw, but what I saw was a bit of a mess. Don’t get me wrong like everyone here I LOVE red dwarf, it was an important part of my childhood and I will always be a fan, but if you think the show deserves another series based on BTE, I suggest you watch a couple of old episodes then compare and contrast.

With all that said, I didn’t think BTE was completely awful and some sort of conclusion/happy ending to the show would be nice, if only to stop them flogging it.

6. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

It did get the higest ratings for Dave since records began!

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

And the CGI skutters looked great.

No, I didn't slip into sarcasm mode. I really did think they looked very good.

8. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

I actually liked the look of the scutter... I do not understand why people say that Red Dwarf should be dirty. Ok, for the first few series that is ok, but the nanos rebuilt the ship like new and with Kryten and the skutters to keep it clean.... it's clean.

9. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Think that says more about Dave than BTE

10. Legion91

Legion91 Skutter

I thought BTE was brilliant!!! My dad told me that RD was coming back last month and i got really excited at the thought of a brand new episode. The SFX were fantastic it made the ship look so modern ofcourse future-ristic as it is supposed to be.
    One of the really good bits in the 1st episode was when Lister was walking to the memorial garden and you got too see a new structure of the outside of the ship and i just thought "wow"!!:shock: :-D

The acting was brilliant from all four of them, but in my opinion katerina got on my nerves:roll:, she just barged in demanding orders and what not, but... ok in truth she was the one that actually got them [size=]back to earth[/size].
    i thought when they came through the tv's in the shop, it was a good idea, quite original though... through a tv but it was still good.
    The corrie idea was alright, the bit in the Kabin made me laugh out loud :lol:, but it could of been funnier if they walked into a crowded rovers return!! im sure it would soon go quiet!!
    I loved the starbug car! it amazed me how all four of them fitted in that tiny thing.:-D

The ending was preety good, but it makes you beg for more!!! (I would love just one more series!!)

11. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Just realised I haven't posted in this topic yet...

Ok well personally I think the Specials got off to a slow but reasonable start with Part 1 and picked up with Part's 2 & 3.
    It seemed shorter than usual but that was most likely due to me not being used to the adverts..

Criag Charles emotional secnes were a high point showing how much he's progressed as an actor...

I was hoping they would tie up what happened at the end of the last series especially in regard's to Rimmer being a hologram, but I guess their wasn't much need to go over old ground.
    The CGI was a plus and looked great when you consider the budget and the time they had to do it...

I thought it was good even though the editing looked abit rushed, my sides weren't splitting with near constant laughter but I laughed a good few times and the jokes were good...

Examples:

Scene From BTE Part1

Rimmer: "It's got be in the middle, the middle you metal moron! Look this is my vending machine maintenance man of the month certificate we are reframing here, my one and only Mr April, their's no room for sloppiness, and you can take that look off your face for a start"
    Rimmer turns away, Skutter gives him the old two fingers, Rimmer turn's round and Skutter acts as normal....

Scene From BTE Part2

Rimmer: "Neurotic, Im not neaurotic, never been neurotic, neurotic, neurotic, are they insane who write's this stuff, I wan't even neurotic when I was a kid, didn't have time I was too busy washing my hand's"
    (After a short pause)
    Rimmer: "Hilarious, In what way am I hilarious, name one way in which Im hilarious, one, just one, one way"
    Kryten: "Well your a pompous without reason sir and you have hilariously unrealistic life goals"
    Rimmer: "When Im Lord of the star fleet Kryten you'll pay for that remark"

So all in all Im quite pleased with the way it was put across as more of a movie tribute to Red Dwarf...
    I have high hopes(crossed fingers) that the record breaking viewing figures will be enough to convince Dave to comission a new Series although if they did I'd hope it was a return to the comedy approach of RD of old, the filmic approach used for the special's just wouldn't suit a Series In my opinion...

12. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

:idea:BRILLIANT IDEA!:idea:
    During the broadcasting of Red Dwarf, Dave had temporerily called themselves DaveLister. Lister thinks that they named a television station after him, if Series IX and X were commisioned, perhaps DaveLister could be a completly seporate channel to Dave, along with DaveLister II/Ja Vu, and it could be filled with nothing but Red Dwarf, as well as that chanell making Red Dwarf Series IX and X.
    That way, there would be a television channel named after Dave Lister, so it would fill the continuity gap in the trilogy, that way it would be true:!:

:?UR,:arrow::?:

13. JiveHamSlicer

JiveHamSlicer Skutter

Those Rimmer 'Dwarfs' had me in absolute stitches (again)! Best visual gag of the year award right there :-D
    Don't listen to all the 'haters', this show needs positive encouragement - MAKE MORE!!! There seems to be a gap in the market at the moment for Sci-Fi, comedy or not. MAKE MORE!!! I'm bored to the teeth with Doctor Who what with all the (what seem like) patronising overtones aimed at the holier-than-thou family audience. MAKE MORE!!! It was a great plot, great execution, and definately in-keeping with the style of the rest of the series. All negative points (if any) don't hold enough sway to justify not MAKING MORE!!!
    Thanks to the crew and Mr. Naylor.
    Did I say make more? Please?

14. mordecai

mordecai Skutter

I have to agree that Back to Earth is best viewed all at once, without commercials.

I enjoyed it, and will certainly buy a DVD when the NTSC version is released. (I'm a colonial.)

Now, go make a new series.

Oh, thanks for the new 1920 x 1200 backgrounds. I have series V up now.

15. giga

giga Third Technician

Here's a point. In Back to Reality and Back to Earth, the scenes where they get infected by Despair and Joy ink are very similar.

16. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

really?? i dont seem to remember them getting thrown around a small diving bell by the tentical of a giant squid in Back To Reality, more like being chased in Starbug underwater and crashing!

17. giga

giga Third Technician

I just watched it again, and some of the things are really similar. Just pointing it out, go and watch them both.

18. saxon101

saxon101 Skutter

So So disapointing. It could have been amaizing, so much more could have been done. Coronation street? Caractors from TV world? did someone just watch that crap Legue of gentlemen film? After waiting 10 years for my all time favourite tv show to come back I am so disapointed. what a waste of time.

19. saxon101

saxon101 Skutter

Just watching it again now on Dave, although I am reaching fast for the controler, and heres another thing thats just plain stooooopid. how come in all the brilliantly funny episodes in all the fantastic series of Red Dawarf that has been before, lister can wipe his back side but now he comes back to 2009, suddenly he forgets. surely he knows what an empty bog roll holder looks like? Jesus I am so ... (I know I can't swear at this point, I read the etiquette thread, but by Christ I want to) ... cross. WHY? WHY did this happen? Why bother? and the kids on the bus? they are all of 9 years old. the show finished before they were born! Rob Grant and Doug Naylor were BRILLIANT writers. what the hell happened with this?

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

how come in all the brilliantly funny episodes in all the fantastic series of Red Dawarf that has been before, lister can wipe his back side but now he comes back to 2009, suddenly he forgets.

He doesn't forget!!!! What the hell were you watching??? He's in the past... and thinks it is how 'we' 21st centrury people did it!!!
    Only a sci fi fan would even attempt to analyse this for crying out loud!!!

WHY? WHY did this happen? Why bother?

Why ask! Everyone wanted it! STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the kids on the bus? they are all of 9 years old. the show finished before they were born!
    Soooo you're saying that anyone born after 1999 has no right to watch Red Dwarf??? Do you send your kids to bed when Dads Army repeats are on! what is wrong with you?