Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SCIFIGEEK

SCIFIGEEK Third Technician

Hello!

Have been reading other members opinions on the boards and thought I'd sign up and join in on the debate.

I enjoyed this episode alot more than BTE Part 1. In my opinion it was alot funnier and felt a little less rushed. I don't really like the storyline that much, to me it feels like a FAN-FILM of Red Dwarf or someones FAN-FICTION thats been made into a 3-parter.

It will probably all come together in the end (again, without rushing it don't know how they're going to sum it up in 20 minutes) but I'll take the old seasons any day.

I loved the homage to Blade Runner but i wasnt too sure about the whole 'its not real thing'. I miss the laugther track.
    I loved the bit with the kids talking about Koschanski which was brilliant. 30 minutes is TOO short. Special like this should be 45minutes or longer, look at Doctor Who, the BBC gives them 60 minutes to play with but 30minutes with ad break, way too short, making for a rushed episode. I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Grant, GNP and Dave for making this special happen. LOVE RED DWARF and i hope season 10 is commissioned.

Here's hoping for a great finale.

2. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Yes, that shocked me too. What happens when another station replays this? It will be a bit weird.:lol:

3. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

OK Nendo thanks :-) That actually really helps me understand the perspective some of you guys may be coming from. Thankyou :-) And believe me, I am soooooo hoping I can log on tomorrow and go 'oh wow. That was actually fantastic'. I'm just upset cos I love Red Dwarf and I really am not finding a way of imagining how it's going to work out good in Pt 3. I hope beyond anything it does :-) I didn't have any expectations because I was trying to avoid being spoilered :-)

4. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

with the amount the dwarfers have gone through. am nto sureprised that there not surprised that there not realy. After what they have gone through i think that its probably comes clsoe to the realm of normal for them

5. Mittens

Mittens Third Technician

Every time I see a poster with 1 post who joined today it's negative! It's just people joining posting negative comments I don't see the point. If you didn't enjoy it don't waste your timing registering now and posting.
    As for the 'plot holes' everybody loved red dwarf in the earlier series when things where ignored or didn't quite make sense they said it was part of the charm of dwarf. Why should this be any different?

The episode was funny and taking the piss out of itself and the genre in general. It is after all a 21st celebratory episode reflecting on the past 21 years of dwarf what better way to do this than have the cast looking at themselves in this way!

Great episode great writing in my opinion.

6. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

bahahahaha :-D

7. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

As much as I love the new Red Dwarf's so far........

.........I hope Doug realises that if the ending of the third episode isn't so spectacular and resolute as to provide the cure for at least one type of cancer, there is no way this show is going to survive, and neither will it's legacy.

There's too many comments I can see which, are not only valid, but will no doubt shape how Red Dwarf is remembered, far more than the positives will.

8. e4tmyl04d

e4tmyl04d Third Technician

I thought it was all great, bar the kids on the bus :-D

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I can totally understand why people are unhappy about Dave being mentioned but, to be fair...... they are the only reason we're even watching these shows, they deserve a little pat on the back!

10. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

OK Nendo thanks :-) That actually really helps me understand the perspective some of you guys may be coming from. Thankyou :-) And believe me, I am soooooo hoping I can log on tomorrow and go 'oh wow. That was actually fantastic'. I'm just upset cos I love Red Dwarf and I really am not finding a way of imagining how it's going to work out good in Pt 3. I hope beyond anything it does :-) I didn't have any expectations because I was trying to avoid being spoilered :-)

11. SCIFIGEEK

yeah so far i have seen negative feedback, which is sad because when DAVE and Grant look at these they will think, great all that effort, lets not make season 10. We need POSATIVE feedback. Stop posting negative feedback. Red Dwarf wasnt going to be like seasons 3 or 4 or whatever, like all of us we age and grow up and move on with the times, so i knew before it started that its going to be different and hoping it wasnt going to be like the episode Pete which was the worst episode ever. I love RD very much. I have pre-ordered the DVD allready talking of which, the film was taped in HD, so why no BLU RAY????

12. TheAmazingDannyKing

Apparently there is now going to be Blu-Ray, it was announced on Dave the other day.

13. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

I totally disagree - the majority of posts seem to offer valid criticisms and a pretty balanced perspective.

14. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

I totally agree, this isnt a marketing exercise at all, or it doesnt seem that way to me. Rule number 1 is that in TV ratings count, nothing else, just ratings. So on that basis they have to cater for a modern audience, they already have "the fans" who will be watching, and they have to attract a new audience too. Of course they will update things.

I think explaining that this comes after series 10 is excellent. Maybe its deliberately like that so they will hopefully have more money around to make series 9 and 10 with. Knowing the budget was low on this one, they didnt want to attempt a new series with such a low budget. Giving them 2 seasons to tie up any loose ends and mysteries.

This is some classic comedy, and all the little self references, and to be fair, were laughing at the fans in this too. Its brilliant, its very subtle, but each bit has a prominent reference to before or some other in-joke.

Hopefully the one feedback that will stick is that these episodes are too short. Maybe shoot for a 1 hour timeslot giving 46 minutes of TV to play with, much more suitable to a show like RD.

Give it a chance, I would really like to see a series 9, and now 10.

This second episode certainly made me want more.

15. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I don't think they offer valid criticisms - I think they offer an expression of a difference in taste. Most of what can be classed as criticisms revolve around it not being shot with a laughter track which has been justified.

The only real valid criticism I've seen thus far is that it shouldn't have been split into three.

16. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Or just a cheap way of shortchanging the fans who've waited for 10 years? I mean IF the next series/sequel/prequel or whatever you want to call it, gets made its going to be kinda tough to pick up from where they left off after this lot isn't it? I appreciate what they are trying to do and they probably don't have the budget or the production support to go for a full series but this really feels like milking the franchise to me. I think it might have been better to leave us with the good memories rather than dig up the body and make it dance round the graveyard.

That does sound good, but I was also worried that a movie would be very US orientated (like the Dr Who movie was) and so would possibly distort the homegrown nature of the series. The paradoxical thing about RD in my view is that the better the production values got the less it seemed like itself. I think the last 2 series were starting to get far too clever for their own good.

If the film failed due to funding and the BBC didn't pick up the option for the trilogy, the fact that its ended up on Dave seems a really sad ending for the crew. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think its looking good for another series is it?

17. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

No problem. I think people did the same. Didn't want to spoil it all so they just went in without expected anything from the show. Thinking it was going to be one thing when it turns out to be something completly different which obviously some people didn't like. Although my thoughts is that if poeple re-watched it and took in what the episodes are trying to achieve and give to the fan base then i think they will accept it.

I think people were expecting it to be alot like the older series (which tbh is what we all were hoping for but i think some of the fans knew wasn't what we were going to get).

18. TheAmazingDannyKing

Some of it is valid. Some of it is slating Red Dwarf for breaking conventions it never stuck too in the first place, or are misinformed entirely.

For example I've seen several times someone complain about continuity issues without seeing either the full episode to see if they get tied up, all the while forgetting Dwarf never did that anyway.

I've also seen several "Kryton's" and refering to the writer as "Grant" when it was written by Doug Naylor.

So, misinformed and just as bias as the fan review to some degree. Some are valid opinion though quite right.

19. SCIFIGEEK

Thanks for letting me know about Blu Ray, is it on amazon yet because i will have to cancel the stanard def and re-order the blu ray.

I just hope Grant etc wont take all this negative feedback in the wrong way.

I loooooooooooooooooved ep1 and 2 and cant wait for ep 3.

I agree 30mins too short for specials, should be at least 45 minutes.

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Skutter

Brand new member, and been waiting for this 'series' since 1999 like the rest of us.

Last night's episode was *ok*. That's it, it was *ok*.

The humour was often forced, cringeworthy, and contrived plus unoriginal in places. But there were a few good giggle moments too. But certainly not enough of the sort of quality we'd expect from a British TV icon that is the Dwarf.

However, I was willing to give it the chance it deserves, and watched the second episode tonight with a fellow dwarfer.

I am in disbelief at what I have just seen, to be perfectly honest with you. What in God's name was Doug Naylor doing making the characters come into the 'real world' where they're still fictional characters, holding up Red Dwarf merchandise, 'coming soon'?

It's like he went absolutely mad and decided to go so original that he's ended up undermining the entire Red Dwarf legacy. What made this show work so well in the past was it was 'the Odd Couple' in space, the misfits who got into hilarious adventures. If they had to go back to Earth it could have finished in a Born on the Fourth of July style where the entire series was still in space then it ended as they reached earth. With this horror show of bizarreness I'm left wondering what the points of it is - Red Dwarf on Earth but not really, sort of, holding Red Dwarf DVD's.

And Blade Runner? What the hell? One of my favourite movies and shows married in a vicious hybrid of wrongness.

I am finding it hard to sum up succinctly my disappointment in where Doug's gone here.

I don't think we'd ever see Joey holding up a Friends DVD, do you?