Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. deepSnoozer

deepSnoozer Third Technician

The picture zooming thing was one of my Fav Things there... i tought it was brilliant altough tecnicaly impossible since the Resolution on a print would be too small, but maybe one day, in a distant future where we can take 3 or 4gigapixels photographs, maybe we can see some details we are unable to see now :-)

2. slash2010

slash2010 Skutter

Well, so far I'm undecided about BTE. Its great to see the guys back and there have been some funny moments, though there seem to fewer jokes than previous shows. The first thought that came to my mind after part two (as many others have said) was the similarities to Back To Reality - but that may be way off. I'll wait to see all three parts before I make a final decision. Part 3 will hopefully clear everything up in a way no one has predicted.

However anyone feels about the specials so far, at least they've got more people discussing RD.

3. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

That's interesting. He is rather precious, being the last human, sort of:-)
    Interesting slant on it. So what is with the 'fan world' dream? Something to entertain their minds? Very Matrix-esque.

Sounds a little too clever though, and there are unanswered questions/things that don't quite fit.

You'd think that the perfect daydream for them would be getting back to the real earth, with nothing odd happening.

4. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

Totally agree with Dan here... e.g. in Friends, Joey works as an actor in the TV show "Days of Our Lives" (or something similar) - it's part of the fictional reality within the show. The character he plays in the soap is fictional, but Joey himself is a real person.

In contrast, if you saw the gang sitting in the coffee shop going "so, yeah, funny how we're all fictional characters on our own sitcom, hey!", that destroys the "real world" that has been set up.

5. cyberkilla

The breaking of the fourth wall isn't really valid, in my opinion.
    It usually applies to shows where the actor winks at the audience, because he knows you're there.

Here, they aren't acting like we are there at all. We don't exist. They are walking through a virtual fourth wall, so they are still inside of the TV, technically;-) What's more, there's no way that they'll wrap up by letting them go back to live in their scifi tv world, thinking they aren't real.

It will be an alternate reality, a dream, a hallucination, a trick.. Something. Nobody can expect them to carry on thinking they aren't real.
    So, in summary, if they haven't technically broken the fourth wall, and everything returns to 'normal' at the end, no harm done.
    Well, except the merchandise advertising - it truly must be a pretend earth, because finding something as basic as a red dwarf hat is murder here:P

6. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

i dont understand why everyone is saying they broke the forth wall. its sci fi and there is as many different dimensions as they want there to be. just because in this dimension there hole life is a tv show . in another dimension they were all women or everything was going backwards. thats the best thing there is a unlimited amount of possibilities. there is no boundries to anything. wen they get out of this one who knows where they could end up- apart from doug

7. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Fair point, but note that the machine Katerina knocked together claimed their dimension was invalid.

Also, breaking the fourth wall is where a fictional character acknowledges they are fictional, one way or another (be it a sign to an audience or in a situation like this). As thus, by definition, the fourth wall has been broken.

8. SCIFIGEEK

SCIFIGEEK Third Technician

Yeah its been 10yrs since RD on the screens we should be greatful, well i am.

Most shows dont get picked up after 10yrs. Stargate had a good run for 10 years and now its back on DVD.

10yrs is a looooong time and people move on and age so i wasnt expecting anything like the old days.

I LOVE THE NEW SERIES

9. RedDwarf09

RedDwarf09 Second Technician

Well, I thought this piece of mangnificence was even better than the last. I thought it was rather funny that the department store salesmen insulted the psi-scan, so the psi-scan insulted him, pure excellence. And I didn't excpect Rimmer to push the other Hologram into the road! HAHA funny :-)
    Great, 10/10

10. luckyluke1511

luckyluke1511 Skutter

I certainly agree there. I was surprised at first because I was shocked to see Red Dwarf being advertised on a TV as Rimmer shot out. I don't quite think we've seen the end of Katerina also.

This whole business of BTE taking place after series nine and ten seems very interesting. If I recall correctly, Kochanski was 'supposedly' sucked out of an airlock in series nine. Will we see this? In a future series nine? In BTE all one huge adventure designed to bring back more episodes? When Kochanski's death is first mentioned by the shop owner whilst talking about the bath, the moment he says 'only Kryten saw and he told you she was flushed out of an airlock', the MOMENT he says that, Kyten acts all guilty for about 1 second. And then later the kids reveal their thoughts that he did make it up. This all seems very confusing.

All I know is that they've been drifting in space for nine years and I want some answers.

11. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

First of all I only joined yesterday and "I love it here" Lol...

Right BTE Part 2... Just watching it again as I couldnt yesterday and Krytons face when the guy in the shop mentioned Kotchanski being sucked out of an airlock... He looked guilty?? Also those things The Cat is making are like bread crumbs...Or could they be helping to project a false image around the guys? I have no idea if I'm talking rubbish here or not but wanted to put my 2 pence in lol

1 thing is worrying me... what if kotchanski IS still alive?? I never liked her in it....So I dont want her back in any possible series 9..

12. mildew

mildew Skutter

Hi all, the new episodes are brilliant! I hope that these three (+ the "Making of") are just the tip of the iceberg.

13. cyberkilla

I missed his guilty expression. I must have blinked:-)

However, the little foil things are a nod to the cop from Blade Runner.

"It's too bad she won't live... But then again, who does?"

14. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Seriously, Flatbattery, The Todge is right. To suggest someone isn't a Red Dwarf just because they're not happy with an episode/series is ridiculous. Like he says, what should we do, just smile and keep our mouths shut in case we shoould offend those that did like it? This is a Red Dwarf discussion forum, and this gives all the right to air their opinion, good or bad.

15. Dwarfer_Stu

Dwarfer_Stu Second Technician

Btw: They havent broken the 4th wall at all.

This is because it's not our reality they've broken into, as evidenced by the fact that everyone thinks there's a 9th and 10th series of red dwarf when there isnt.

also I found it a bit strange how all these locations the back of their dvd says they go to actually exist. If they were in the real world, that sci fi shop would just be a set, and the guy there just happens to have a carbug, the one theyre 'supposed' to be driving even in the dvd theyre holding?

wouldnt the customers and sales person in the shop think it a bit weird that theyre in the exact shop/scene thats being played on the tvs behind them, with the dwarf crew going into?

Oh yeah, and Katerina isnt dead. Hard-light holograms are indestructable, and she just got run over by a car. Unless she isnt really a hologram?

16. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

People claiming they're "huge fans" of the series, then in their next breath (and first ever comment) telling the producers their new stuff was "bit crap" just smacks of arrogance and negativity to me. "Forget the 20+ years of awesome material you've created, I'll just launch into a 27 point list of things I hate about your new work. Kthxbai."

Nice.

17. thedrocks

thedrocks Third Technician

Awesome, i loved the part where they were in the comic shop...
    "thats star trek" lol

Love the carbug!!

can't wait for part 3

18. slimjim

slimjim Third Technician

Well, it was better than the first part, but that's not saying a lot.

It was dull. It was slightly mawkish. The self-referential aspect was embarrassing. It was slow. It was a single, vaguely interesting but ultimately ill-judged idea stretched out to half an hour. I laughed at the little car pretending to be Starbug until I realised that, intentionally or not, it was the perfect symbol for Back To Earth. A cheap, non-working facsimile of the real thing.

As a sort of retrospective, faintly amusing, slightly mawkish tribute to Red Dwarf, it almost worked. As a fast-paced, engaging, clever comedy with vibrant chemistry between the characters, chock full of interesting ideas, it failed. Pitifully. The real deal Red Dwarf was all of those things, this was none of them.

This was Last Of The Summer Smeg.

19. cyberkilla

That post was lost in the sands of time:-) You didn't need to reply and re-stoke the fire. This is a forum full of fanatics! Do you think you'd get away with posting your distaste on the "I love islam" forum, or the "Praise be to the Fonze" forum. No!:lol:

If you give me a serious response ten newborn puppies will die.

20. SFRimmer12

SFRimmer12 Third Technician

RED DWARF: BACK TO EARTH - PART TWO - HOLE-IN-ONE!

Wow! I was not expecting that! Funny how Rimmer, Lister and Kryten all came out in amusing ways while - as usual - The Cat landed on his feet in style.

Once again, enjoyed every minute of it - it takes a lot to disappoint me. And yesterday was a brilliant day for me - DOCTOR WHO and RED DWARF - both great shows and both didn't disappoint.

Roll on Episode Three - that road at the end of the episode looks familiar...