Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. johna1905

johna1905 Second Technician

Well another class episode went over far too quick, havn't had a 2nd screening yet but still sat watching with a big cheesy grin on my face all the way through, still can't believe i've watched 2 brand new epsiodes,

2. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

I liked Episode 2 - but not as much as Episode 1 though. Still unsure about the whole storyline - I think it'll all depend on how it all works out in Ep.3.

Some cracking moments though, the psi scan bit had me in stitches, as did the kid telling Lister to tell Rimmer he's a smeghead!

3. The_Nimon1

The_Nimon1 Third Technician

Great stuff so far, got some really good lines and the cast is on top form, Loved the bit where sneaky old Rimmer killed Katerina. Looking forwad to tonights episode, then i can watch it all together and get the full story:-D

4. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

Yes, each one feels like it's over too quickly, but I suppose that's an indicator that I want more:x:P

5. bendrago

bendrago Skutter

Well now episode 1 starts to make sense ! episode 2 was great, cant wait 'till episode 3 ... heck, cant wait for a new series to be honest ...

Loved it, esp. the blade runner nods

6. biscuits2009

biscuits2009 Second Technician

Reading through some of the more negative posts on this thread, I can't help but think folk are taking the 'fourth wall breaking' far too seriously. The boys discover they're merely characters in a TV show - what is the big deal? Why does it offend you so? We're talking about Red Dwarf here - a sci-fi comedy which has never taken itself or the genre it fits in too seriously.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the episodes so far and can't wait for tonight's. I'm sure there'll be more 'fourth-wall breaking' to get you all uppity and agitated so you'll no doubt feel like posting more negative nonsense here later, but before you do, remember that it's just a great story. It's not a soulless attack on you and the genre you love.

7. Tex Rimmer MUST return

Tex Rimmer MUST return Flight Co-Ordinator

if the story ends tonight that they are all still characters and it isnt resolved I am booing this off the face of the face of the planet. Tonights was better but it still wasnt funny and they are rushing through things so fast I barely have any idea whats going on.

8. Daniel

Daniel Console Officer

Well, two episodes in now and it is beginning to feel more like series 7, in that it is story-driven and a bit fewer on the laughs. Still enjoyed it though, but I am curious as to just how they are going to clear it all up in the last 23 minutes without it being... well... crap. It's beginning to feel like Doug was being too adventurous in trying to get all this told in such a short space of time, and although I hope dearly that it does end well, I have a nasty feeling it may have a rather unpleasant and rushed feeling. For instance it could easily end with them all getting killed (see the trailers and the opening credits where that bloke shoots them and they fall through the glass - Blade Runner Replicant number 1). Would not be the most satisfying way.

On the Blade Runner note, I have also had a theory behind Doug's decision to break the fourth wall. This will make more sense to those who have seen the original film on which some ideas have been based:

In Blade Runner the Replicants were forced to accept that they were not human, and just the creation of someone else (this is most noteworthy for that woman, I can't remember her name - the one who shacks up with Harrison Ford and has been given memories and the like). Knowing this they learned about their limited lifespans and went to find their creator to plead for more life, all the while the Blade Runners were hunting them down.
    In order to spin this properly into Dwarf, the boys have to be seen as the Replicants, and in order to play out their roles more effectively they would need to accept they were just the creation of someone else, รก la breaking the fourth wall. By doing this the Blade Runner theme that Doug was writing to is able to work. Granted, why he chose Blade Runner may be a mystery, but there you are.

Oh, also I don't recall hearing "smeg" used in the first episode. That would mean the first person to use it was that little ginger kid! Is this for real? The ultimate Red Dwarf term first used by some random ginger kid on a bus?

So, there are my views on the second episode of Back to Earth. Final score: a bit better than episode one. The jokes were around the same sort of level but the story was pushed on. However I am left worried about episode three due to the timeframe allowed by the channel.

That reminds me! That was the most shameless plug I have seen in a long time! Just one more reason why I will continue to call the channel by its old name of UKG2! Disgraceful plug!

Oh, if anyone has said this stuff before, sorry, didn't mean to copy. I just can't be bothered to read through about 300 odd posts this morning. Any imitation is purely coincidental.

9. cyberkilla

The people who are being anal about these episodes clearly don't understand the spirit of the program.
    They have been breaking rules of decency and good taste since series one, and nobody has ever complained.

The veil of nostalgia has been lifted on these new episodes, so they are vulnerable to a lot more critique. But really, unless you were obsessed with it back then too - and you haven't aged into a bitter old sod - you're opinion really isn't important to the rest of us. Not a dig at anyone in particular, but if you're an outsider, you just don't understand:lol:

10. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

anybody notice the dvd "die screaming with sharp things in your head" at the dvd section...wasn't this a title in Demons and Angels...?

11. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Im not sure we should be reading too much into all the Bladerunner references, one thing is for sure its good to see a RD episode divide fans and cause so much debate, whether you like it or not (and im loving it) its got everybody talking.

12. Tex Rimmer MUST return

I really hate the idea of them just being characters in a show, its crappy endings like that, that ruin all past episodes for me. Like I can never watch Britas Empire without thinking boooo its all this guys dream. I still havnt heard any jokes. Most the story refering to two non existant series sucks as well. The part on the bus wasnt bad.

13. cyberkilla

I know! I'm just hoping that they don't all die on the roof of a skyscraper clasping onto a bird. Well, if it's all a dream I might allow it, just a little bit:-)

14. Tex Rimmer MUST return

I really hate the idea of them just being characters in a show, its crappy endings like that, that ruin all past episodes for me. Like I can never watch Britas Empire without thinking boooo its all this guys dream. I still havnt heard any jokes. Most the story refering to two non existant series sucks as well. The part on the bus wasnt bad.

15. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Along with quite a few other references to past film and cartoon titles, that have been in Red Dwarf.

16. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Well not entirely true, there were many complaints, just to name a few very basic and obvious ones; the change of sets... especially from series 1/2 to series 3. Series 7 and 8 on the whole had many complaints.
    I for one liked Kochanski, she brought out the worst in Kryten and I feel that added a little extra to not just the comedy, but the character overall. Other people didn't like her, but everyone has their own opinions.

17. deepSnoozer

deepSnoozer Third Technician

Oh my god...

Hi everyone my name is Daniel and i write you from Portugal...

I have been an Hard Core Fan for about 10 years now, when i knew about red dwarf it was to late as the show was over and i was left waiting for more.
    Anyway, yesterday i had registered here in the Foruns and i Ranted a little bit about Part-1 i did say i enjoyed some parts but i also said that the epsiodes like Back to Reality or Quarentine (Two of my fav episodes) would never come back...
    When i hit "post" my Internet connection went down and it didnt stick... i wrote about 10.000 chars, and i decided no to go there anymore...

It took me by suprise yesterday when i saw Part-2 and i was like, YES! Red Dwarf is back, the script and the idea is Brilliant after all, they ended up in OUR reality, What a Genius Idea, and i even loved the part that they mencioned a Season 9 that , for us it didnt existed but maybe that could be a reality and maybe Naylor can do a script for an entire season 9 that happened before BTE.

In my Opinion i now start to belive that Red Dwarf has legs to walk forward a new series...

18. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

OK my Brain went on overdrive last night after that episode.
    Probably tangenting totally but I was wondering if the Blade Runner reference is a hint as to what is going on.
    Didn't they collect living things in Blade Runner as they were precious? Maybe Lister is considered precious?
    I just thought why has Katerinas activation not been explained and also the fact that two hard light holograms were able to exist on the same ship. Also Kryton wasn't given the chance to dish the dirt on her. She knew how to create the time skid (is that right) from the tenticle.
    Also why does she put down Rimmer for the one reason he was placed there (to Keep Lister sane) and want to destroy his files?
    Next, Why are the kids trying to turn Lister against Kryton? and make him think that Kochanski didn't want to know him anymore.
    Is Cat really the Cat? Now this one is stretching it ! Why is he making those origami things. They seem like Gingerbread, is someone tracking him?

OK pick holes and discuss, I wonder what others think.

I can't wait to see tonights show.

19. indyelly

indyelly Skutter

Has anyone actually thought of the fact that they might be in the games console again from 'Back to Reality'. Everything seems to point that way especially when they were in the video shop discussing it?

20. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Yeah that was my first thought.
    I'm wondering if its more complex than that.