Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. murdybhoy

murdybhoy Skutter

that was much better

think the problem is with dave adverts, we are not used to getting red dwarf split in half makes it feel to short, roll on the dvd, this has to be watched 1 after the other with no breaks, but thank you dave for getting red dwarf back

thats what its all about red dwarf is finnaly back, have all the vhs videos, all the dvds, the anniversary all the shows, iv watched them so many times

now i have more :-) i have them taped on my v+ box going to watch 1 then 2 now

2. SamTatr

SamTatr Skutter

Are you joking?

3. TheSinisterMrX

TheSinisterMrX Third Technician

Star Trek did it again in an episode of Deep Space Nine but the premise was that Sisko was a mental patient in an asylum. It was really cool and I wish that had been true.. because that woulda been so awesome. But alas.. it was only an illusion.

4. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

Australians have their own sense of humor, but unlike the Americans, have kept in quite regular contact with the Empire. Not sure the degrees of seperation are wide enough to account for culturally differing opinions. ;-)

5. gazb8s

gazb8s Third Technician

i admit after the first episode i was a lil worried it was a lil bit slow, but episode 2 has completly made up for it,it was brilliant.
    there a so many post i didnt read em all but scanned thro i see a few ppl said about the cat and the gold things he was leaving, and i didnt see if anyone said this. at the open music with the clips im sure i saw one of the cat pointing a gun up at someone and thought the 2 might be connected in some way.
    i cant wait for tonights episode!! :-D

6. onephatsmegger

onephatsmegger Second Technician

I personally am just glad to see the boys back together again and hope for a series 9 (or 10!) On the whole, I'm not disappointed with the first two eps of BTE, I just want the bellylaugh I usually get from a Red Dwarf episode. Didn't happen Friday, but Lister's confession about his toilet excursion last night made it happen. Hoping for great things tonight.

7. NibblingHellGoat

NibblingHellGoat Skutter

I'm experiencing... ambivalence.

This was loads more enjoyable than part one, but... the reason it is more enjoyable is that it's clearer where they've gone with it. There's more context, so it's easier to accept on its own terms. It's great for what it is.

It's just how it fits in with everything else, its treatment of the Dwarf legacy. That's opinion - for me, it's very 2006, very new Doctor Who, very Life on Mars (which I love, don't get me wrong.) They've gone with the most obvious "weird" twist really. There's no logical reason to get upset about it unless you're sure they could have produced something better in the original RD vein for the money.

Perhaps it's all to justify the improbability of things they want to show in 9&10.

8. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

haha again, the Chinese translates as 'Noses are we(us)', and that is it... Lister was close, but way out :lol:

9. Bewareofthephil

Bewareofthephil Third Technician

Up until the ad break, Part 2 was, in my opinion, Red Dwarf at its best. Great gags, particularly with regard to DVDs and videos. So true, and sort of explaining why they watch videos in the early series :-p

It got really slow in the second half. The various shop bits were kind of dull (although the "Sorry to interrupt your Warhammer" made me laugh - talk about getting the audience spot on), but the worst part by far was the bus sequence. It just wasn't entertaining.

I'm hoping Part 3 can do what Part 2a did so well. I'm expecting a Craig Charles Meets Dave Lister moment tonight.

10. jonhilt

jonhilt Skutter

To the people who don't like these new episodes, especially the people who sound really hurt and upset because they feel betrayed.

I'm guessing that those people are big fans of the series who have watched the old episodes many times.

I have the DVDs and have re-watched them all recently and the problem is all those episodes are so familiar and make me feel so nostalgic that it's impossible for me to actually critique them or to remember what I would have thought of them the first time I watched them. Of course none of the dialogue feels forced in the old episodes because I know it backwards. I'm not going to be critical of the special effects because they are "of their time".

There are some average episodes of Red Dwarf in the first 6 series. If you watched them for the first time again, and the Internet existed you would get forums filled with the same kind of positive and critical opinions.

Also I'm older and (supposedly) wiser now, so again, I don't know how I would react to Red Dwarf watching it for the first time now. Oh and also it's not the 80's/90s any more!!!

I don't think Red Dwarf can possibly compete with people's fuzzy rose tinted spectacles memories of the old series. Inside all of us there's a hugely sceptical "glass half empty" doubting voice challenging us to hate these specials, I think that voice needs to quiet for a bit! :-D

11. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I think that all the people worried that any future series of Red Dwarf will be killed by them knowing they're not real should have more faith in Doug because SURELY he would also know that it's difficult to care for characters if we know that, within their own universe, they're not real. I'm sure there's going to be a big plot twist at the end.

12. Thinderchild

Thinderchild Skutter

It's a full-blown homage to Phil Dick/Bladerunner which the Sci-Fi fans will appreciate and the comdey/drama fans will feel betrayed by. You can't please everyone!

13. FourPercent

FourPercent Skutter

why should they be ashamed?
    the first page of the website asks for feedback.
    what about new people signing up to make positive comments thats ok is it?

14. shefwanderer

shefwanderer Skutter

Whatever the plot resolution to BTE I hope, if they get to make a new series, they just say sod the continuity (like they used to!), not even try to explain what the hell is going on, and make some great episodes.

BTW I like the idea the guy said about this being a Cat episode where he's affected by the despair squid. That would make sense and allow all this self-referencing of the tv show and our reality to be quietly shoved under the carpet.

15. joanna7

joanna7 Skutter

well, I liked it!!:lol:

16. OzTORDFC

OzTORDFC Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I'm also in Australia and am lucky to have friends in the UK!!!!
    I have to admit I am enjoying them and will definitely be buying the dvd when released. I have been looking at the whole 'Back to Earth' thing as NEW Red Dwarf. Over the years it has evolved, the characters have changed and technology has changed. Some things are still dodgy and usually we end up with more questions than answers - but that IS Red Dwarf!! I am just treating it as a whole new thing!

I can't wait for Ep 3 - when I am sure all of it will come together.

Prue

P.S. And we don't get Coronation Street here - YAY!!

17. Jennifer2009

Jennifer2009 Skutter

I absolutely loved part 2, just classic RD for me. Them reading the DVD to see what happened next, (I wonder if the DVD will say what they read out!), all the Back to Earth promo stuff, just brilliant! They answered the Kochanski questions, (god, please don't bring her back!!), and hinted at a new series, (genius!), I just thought it was brilliant, that storyline could have come from any previous series.

I didn't like the actor in the comic book store, I thought he should have been hugely shocked/surprised/excited that the crew of RD had just walked in! I did think the joke was funny when Lister asked if he was listening to music and he said no ... I just didn't think he was a very good actor, sorry! I didn't like the fake nose guy either, (couldn't understand what he said!).

Funny when the TV store guy was asked if the TV was HD ready, and he said some line about it being 'a form of full HD' or something.

I don't think Chris Barrie has got fully back into character, he's just not as smug and sarcastic/annoying as before.

Love the storyline, just a little something missing, maybe the laughter. Some of the jokes a bit naff. Remember the old schene in the ship with the Blue alert (changing the lightbulb), Rimmer having a yellow streak longer than a heard of dhiorrhitic camels, Lister telling Kryten to sit down as he's not doing his own smegging ironing ... some witty dialogue like that would have been great.

18. brianbrian321

brianbrian321 Third Technician

Episode one was OK - this episode was wonderful!!!

some genuine laugh-out-loud moments

the kids were good
    the picture-zoom section was ridiculous (in a good way - this is Red Dwarf after all)

some people have on here have moaned about the whole earth/reality scenario - bear in mind
    1)this mean't the show was financially viable
    2)they have used this motif before - to lesser success
    3)it creates frames of references that younger/newer fans can latch onto (though not sure how this will be received abroad - when they try and flog it)
    4)the most important... this idea works

looking forward to ep3

19. charlene_1982

charlene_1982 Third Technician

I turned on the TV not expecting much but wanting to give the new specials a chance. When they realised they were characters in a TV show and had to hunt down their creators I admit I thought "OH, COME ON!!" It's basically Last Action Hero but more complicated. But I settled into it and quite liked it in the end. The female hologram getting run over was probably the funniest bit, but did anyone else notice the Mugs Murphy DVD box in the shop? Or did I not see that? I'm sure one of the boxes was a sort of greyish blue and had d-d-d-d-don't shoot on it.

I thought the Dave thing was quite funny but the kids were irritating. ON the other hand that's the kind of thing fans do anyway to explain things away. I haven't seen Bladerunner so i didn't get any references to that.

In the end I thought it was cliched but a nice tongue in cheek poke at itself basically answering the questions every fan has had since the show finished but using the characters to do it.

And I'm beginning to think there's going to be a flesh appearance by Chloe as Chloe, even if it's just a tiny cameo. Roll on tonight!!

20. FourPercent

FourPercent Skutter

i liked the first episode it had a kinda silent running alone in space kinda vibe that dwarf used to have.
    this episode did nothing for me.
    where's the laughs? no rob grant = no funnies.