Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Dawatticus

Dawatticus Third Technician

What i meant by that was, it was hardly " star trek " or " NEW bsg in its writing " . Most of the laughs were a couple here and there, with a lot of the audience just laughing at absoloutely nothing - an ep i watched tonight they laughed at Kryten walking .... come on... seriously?

2. Helliconia

Helliconia Skutter

Nothing to do with age, i watched from seires 3 onwards (1 and 2 later on video). I just took the whole 'begging' thing as a joke (well i laughed anyway), a little tounge in cheek, knowing nod to the situation RD has found itself in over the last 10 years. I dont think its anything more than that, i honestly dont think that Doug is literally begging for another series through the medium of these specials. I think its much more likely he was just taking the piss a bit.

3. Dawatticus

Well it might be a " younger fan thing " im only 23. But ive seen every single episode, and loved them all! OK my friends and I werent too happy at season 8 as it sort of ruined the whole " red dwarf feeling " but other than that! YES! RED DWARF! I feel like im in the 90s again thanks to dave! :-D

A good friend and i used to watch the VHS every single saturday, including the smegups etc! Good times! Red Dwarf is ALWAYS funny .. its Red Dwarf.... It certainly beats " 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps " AND IM SURE YOU ALL AGREE THERE!!!!!

4. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I say again, RD has had some crazy plots yes, but all do have a good comedy element and a reasonable sensible outlook...somewhere.

This new plot kills the show, it makes everything fake and therefore it now means nothing :-( unless this is just another dimension like the many Ace Rimmer has been too, thats different I guess, but the fact its OUR time makes it just too stupid and ruins the mystique for me. Had it been some other dimension and nothing to do with our reality then fair do's, making it here and now has screwed it.

Dont get me started on the fudging Connie ST thing :evil:

5. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Compromising for time is one thing but sometimes there's a compromise too far. This is a huge revalation for the characters and a writer of Doug's standard knows that it's more pivital that a drawn out scene of Lister ironing his sneezes.

He wrote the script first as a 2 parter, it's been stretched to 3 ad he's stil rushing plot?

Also while red dwarf has some far out plots, there is a thing as too far out. I have an idea, Lister is ill and says "well obviously I've been poisoned by a time travelling hitler!" well why not? there have been more far out ployts and I don't have time to explain how and why....

6. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

Hmmmm series 8 was actually pretty good I thought, we got the live audience back and some brilliant bunk, prison and crew scenes :-)
    Series 7 was the low point for me, but THIS is scraping the smeg barrel :-(
    Also the fact they ripping a cult classic of epic proportions like Blade Runner is low, you cant do that, its Riddles genius, you cant fudge with that!! and it wasnt even funny:evil:

7. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

Well we all have our opinions i just hope yours will be changed by 9:30pm tomorrow, as for me ime off, night

8. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

No rose tinted glasses, if that was the case I'd never have liked Red Dwarf after the first episode I ever saw. I'm sort of fed up with people telling other people why they don't like something. Red Dwarf was always well written. It had many flaws, but a couple of things I've mentioned are bad beyond anything before. Some of the stories were brilliant. This one isnt. Not every story from the previous series was brilliant but at least it didn't bugger up the whole premise of the series like this does.

You want to see good writing? Compare how the crew react in Back To Reality when they think they have been playing a game with how they react when finding out they are fictional characters in Back To earth part 2. The writing difference is pretty noticable to me.

9. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

We shall see but I doubt it, even if the whole thing turned out to be a dream for Holly or something, it would still be a lame idea to make into episodes. It would have to revert everything back to what we know and love as RD, I doubt that will happen :-(

Dan's point again is pinpoint :-) (not trying to kiss ass or anything LOL)

10. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

Actually, Star Trek did this in 1968, via a story called "Visit to a Weird Planet" (I'm assuming it's not canon). Similar to BTE Ep2, actually.

11. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

^ Fair enough, Im not a Trekkie so I wouldnt know to be honest, but the fact the plot idea hasnt been used since (or has it?) may be a clue to it not going down to well haha

12. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

Hey folks - been a *long* time since I poked my head in here, but after reading all of the feedback I felt compelled :-D

Firstly, I think these new episodes (particularly part II) are *the best* Red Dwarf ever created. I've watched half a dozen episodes of RD a week for the past 15 years so I'm fairly informed, but Back to Earth is truly inspired.

I'd like to comment on a couple of things:

1. The sheer amount of first posters (myself included) registering just to claim they're huge fans and then unceremoniously slating the producers should be ashamed of themselves. Red Dwarf has become a huge part of my life, and nothing the producers can do will ever spoil that in my eyes. Doug and co: thankyou!
    2. Those claiming that the producers should never have 'broken the fourth wall' have clearly missed the point that the crew are in an *alternate reality* - a reality so awesome it's only just dawning on me. What other reality would ever provide the opportunity to feature hilarious RD fanboys like the sci-fi store guy? See how brilliant that is? So all the people moaning about the DVD merchandising and mention of Dave - it's an alternate reality and an awesome one at that. Case closed.
    3. Those banging on about the kids on the bus - please - that whole scene had so many great laughs, and so many 'a-ha' moments (not to mention a teaser for a couple of new series')! Come on - how awesome is that? I just realised that in the mag Dave was reading on the bus, the article about Kochanski looked to be all about her family - perhaps that's the reason she couldn't be in BtE? Again, awesome!

This series is already a triumph for me. I'm absolutely loving the Blade Runner homages, and I nearly choked when the president of the fan club changed his name to 'Reg Wharf' - I've been referring to RD as 'Reg' for years! My Mrs will often ask 'what you watching?' to which I'll nonchalantly reply 'Reg'. Gold! :-D

I *cannot wait* for the next episode, and although I'm in Australia watching dodgy downloaded versions (sorry guys - I couldn't wait), you can guarantee that I'll be at my local DVD store front and center the second Back to Earth is released, and will be stoked to place it alongside it's 10 RDDVD brothers. For that matter, if there's any way I can contribute financially in the sincere hope that seasons 9 and 10 get to see the light of day, please point me to the 'donate now' link.

I'm over the moon right now, and I expect to be rocketed into the stratosphere when the last episode lands. Well done RD crew! Bring on episode 3!!!

13. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

As i mentioned eariler today this exact plot idea was tried in the League of Gentlemen Apocalypse movie, which bombed... See DVD description below:

"In this feature length adventure based on the darkly hilarious TV series, the fictional world of Royston Vasey is facing apocalypse and the only way to avert disaster is for our nightmarish cast of local characters to find a way into the real world and confront their creators. From present day Soho to the fictional film world of 17th Century Britain, the residents must overcome countless bizarre obstacles in their bid to return Royston Vasey to safety by literally meeting their makers!"

14. roebeet

They did a "re-visit" 10 years later, via the "New Voyages" paperback. The first storyline was Kirk and crew beaming into Desilu studios, the second was William Shatner and his acting buddies beaming to the real Enterprise.

I'm not a big Trek novel fan, but I just happen to have read both of these. I guess maybe that's why this whole "we are fictional characters?" storyline doesn't bother me too much -- although I suspect there will be a twist in Ep3.

15. Dawatticus

The fact its LIGHT OUTSIDE sort of shows that im a huge fan of the show.

Before this thing even existed , this forum was a pile of crap. Fact.

16. Dawatticus

I cant edit for some reason, but this was aimed at Wayde Christie

Also in true red dwarf fashion im pissed as a fart, and not looking forward to going to sleep then waking up :-D 15 cans of strongbow HOOOAH :-D

( translation Holy smeg, i might die in my sleep )

17. roebeet

I'm in a similar situation - I've only been a fan since around 2003 (I'm in the States, so I actually never heard of RD except by accident), but I've been watching them regularly even since...probably at least 3 or 4 episodes a week, on average. That being said, the re-watch factor is very important to me. The jury's still out on BTE, but I think it will be a keeper, over the long run -- I have to wait until tomorrow to know for sure.

18. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I think you guys, Wayde from OZ and Roebeet from the US see the show in a different light from us in the UK, as its a foreign show to you guys and you dont get to see it much it probably comes across much better to you, maybe why you are liking the new episodes more. And as its UK comedy which is of course different to OZ and US if you get me ;-)

Wayde: As for the alternative dimension Im not so sure, RD started off in our time and dimension, the same one they have gone back to now. RD is suppose to have carried on/started from our time or abit further into the future from now (2009). So the fact they have gone to that dimension, which is ours, but thats where the whole RD story started from originally, means it doesnt work. And I personally think its a very bad choice of plot for the comeback of such a huge show, alot depends on this and they have really picked a silly premise if you ask me. Ive been wacthing RD since I was about 11/12 and this just seems like a kick in the balls for the entire series from 1 to 8. There have been some stupid ideas before which really stretched the limits and my patience (series 7), but this is simply A STEP TOO FAR.

If this plot sticks then anything done in the future will be pointless and seem a waste of time, if they are all fake then who cares, they can be killed numerous times in various ways and just come back to life no worries for the next adventure....stupid.

19. waydomatic

waydomatic Third Technician

I've been watching RD for 15 years, along with countless other UK shows. Doesn't matter where I'm from - it's great no matter what.

I don't really want to get into details, but the bit in episode 1 where Katerina couldn't lock onto the correct reality and so the computer calculated the 'nearest alternate reality' was fairly obvious.

Fairly sure the producers know what they're doing - give them some credit :-)

20. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

'Fairly sure the producers know what they're doing - give them some credit'

^ you say that but Im not so sure after what Ive now seen hehe ;-)