Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

That was funny! Even though the original is one of my favourite lines in movie history. Bet its also a lot funnier than anything we'll see tomorrow night, but here's hoping.....

2. Ronstar

Ronstar Third Technician

Sooooo... Let's talk a little about plot points that we seem to be picking up on.

One thing that's been mentioned a few times now is the Cat. Cat, Katrina... Hmmm, is that fish-paste I can smell or just Lister's boots? I'd like to say up front that I have no inkling about where it may go with the Cat at the moment, but here are a few things that appear a little unusual:

- The Cat first appears out of thin air. We were given that epic exterior shot of the ship with the mausoleum in the foreground, showing it to be quite clearly as a 'bubble' that projects from the side of the ship. The only thing above Lister is plexiglass. Then a minute or so in, and the Cat arrives by landing next to Lister. Continuity goof? Yesterday I was thinking it was, but today I'm not so sure. When recording on set, which would be easier and cheaper to stage - Danny landing from mid-air, or Danny running up the corridor? Then we have that 'wooshing' sound effect that accompanies his appearance. And immediately before the Cat's arrival, there is a close up shot of Lister, as he looks up. The door into the room is behind him. One thing I have learned when trying to dissect filmed entertainment is to keep in mind "Almost everything that appears on screen is there because someone made a conscious decision to put it there". When you take into acount the background shot of the door, the 'woosh' and the scream as the Cat appears, as well as the apparent continuity error it introduces, I've become convinced that his arrival into this scene was done in an extremely deliberate fashion.

- The Cat was miraculously spared by the leviathan. "And then the beast, because that's what it is, opens its mouth and I realise that's where I'm heading! So I combed my hair and fainted! Came to, I'm on the floor by the side of the tank, no sign of the creature." We don't yet know the nature of this beast, but perhaps instead of wanting to eat the Cat, it had a very specific reason to consume him, and then deposit him safely after *technobabble*ing him?

- Cat and Katrina. Clutching at straws mode, possibly, but these names are damn similar. One could even argue that Katrina is an effeminate form of Cat.

- Katrina seems to know exactly what to say to please Lister and get him on her side. She appears to also be threatened in some way, which we don't yet know, by the continued existence of Rimmer. She also states that Lister is 'dead inside' in a distant way that implied, to me, that she needs his spirit to be rejuvenated so that Lister can be of use to her - "So, as stated, I bring Lister back to life, restore drive". She also seems, to me, to have a more detailed knowledge of the Dwarfers than the brief time she has spent with them would allow her to have. And of course 2 holograms, blah blah. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I would go so far as to say that it's 'obvious' she is the main villain of the piece. In what way and for what motives? No clue.

- Cat and the origami. Bladerunner homage asides, why is he make this same deliberate shape on a number of occasions? They appear to be markers of some kind, a trail of breacrumbs - so why would the Cat of old do this? Is it that the Cat's first encounter with the Leviathan 'altered' him in some way, making him a side-kick to Katrina? She did, after all, know precisely where to find the crew after they got off the bus.

I am convinced that Cat and Katrina are together in this in some way, no idea how or why, and are possibly even linked - the Leviathan having used the Cat's memories to create the Katrina version of itself and 'reprogramme' (for want of a better word) the Cat to act as an inside man.

A couple of other observations:

- Something which I've not seen mentioned before is that the nosemaker, while wearing parts of the crew's costumes, also has a distinctly 'Simulanty' look about him.

- There has been much discussion of Kryten's guilty look whenever Kochanski's death is mentioned, leading some people to believe that he killed her. However, if you tie the guilt in with what those Kids(tm) said to Lister on the bus, it works equally well that the guilt is that he knows that Kochanski is alive. Also, no one seems to have mentioned that the Kids(tm) describe Lister as being "dumped" - implying that at some point in series IX she and Lister became an item. Doesn't have much bearing on the current story, but an observation all the same.

- The crew's memory of series IX events. The crew appear to have memories of event which happened in series IX, which seems to me to mean that while we may never get to see series IX, it has 'already happened' to the Dwarfers. Doug Naylor himself has said that there won't be a series IX but maybe a series X, so I think that we have to accept that we probably won't get a 'conclusion' to 'Only The Good...'. It's not like they haven't played that trick on us before, so I can live with that.

- This is extra geeky, so please be prepared to slap me. But in Quarantine, Space Corps Directive 595 regarded the quarantining of potentially infected crew members, and throughout the episode a couple more Space Corps Directives between 595 and 600 are given detailing arrangements to be made for quarantined crew members. Thus, I felt it a little jarring that directive 596 should be that crew files are for the Captain's eyes only. Yes, you have permission to shoot me.

BTW, even my staunchly anti-sci-fi fiancée liked tonight's episode, and was laughing alongside me throughout! :-)

Ronnie

3. dwarfer_steve

dwarfer_steve First Technician

In a galaxy far away Turn left at Pluto & keep goi
    Just because some-one likes this does not make them a "blindly faithful, bleating sheep". We all have different opinions hence a forum/discussion. You like it or you don't if you must slate the show not the people or their taste.

4. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Wow, you are serious? You can't see that people actually liked it can you? I'm glad they made them, as a fan of the show so they're welcome to it.

What, you think I'm lying? Yes, truthfully. Look, I respect your dislike of it. That's just how we're built. People are different, but to question my right to have that opinion shows you are either making a point for effect or don't understand this.

It is - it's about comparing it with future episodes. Again, it's dreadful to you, that's OK, that's fine. Don't watch if you don't like. My personal opinion - I liked, I make no apologies for that - I can't help it. I'm not lying when I say that. It's just true. I'll watch series 10 if it materialises.
    Do you have next week's lottery numbers? Man, you come across extremely arrogantly with that one. You don't know that, so why say it? It may be a complete success - you may like the new series, no?

Well, that's again, your opinion - pointless to argue - I disagree. I don't think they're rubbish. Nor do I think they're classics. I'm not being a sychophant just because I enjoyed watching them tonight(?).

I didn't like series 7 or 8, so guess what. I don't own those DVDs - wouldn't dream of it. I wouldn't buy them just becasue they have Red Dwarf on them. I'm surprised that you'd pay for something you think is "dreadful".

Right, but you just said you would buy the DVDs. So, you just contradicted yourself? I'll be buying these ones, yes.

5. GizmoLostTheWill

GizmoLostTheWill Skutter

They are slowly ruining the whole thing. The cult that is RD is being
    wiped out by 3 episodes. Awful, it's worse than watching reality TV. I
    hope it's a joke that is somehow going to be revealed at the end of
    episode 3. The jokes aren't funny, it's trying to have a story line and
    they are over using previous jokes in a way that is cringe worthy. It's
    series 7 (No Rob Grant) all over again but twice as bad. I have been a fan since I was a youngster and I'm totally gutted!

6. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

There's some small visual stuff that's easy to miss the first time around (e.g. the scutter giving Rimmer a 2 finger salute). There could definitely have been room for more one-liners, but the focus seems to be more on a complex plot (admittedly, a plot that I'm not such a fan of so far, but hopefully part 3 will have the "ahhh" moment). The visuals are incredibly rich and detailed.

Also, I think you really have to see Blade Runner to appreciate some of it (possibly not a great move on Naylor's part).

I only just realised... I think the gold origami things that Cat is making are little squids :-)

7. acecooper

acecooper Skutter

hahaha that was really funny lol. Loved Rimmer pushing the woman into the road.

8. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

Your implying the previous episodes didnt have a storyline and that this shouldn't have a storyline... and not acknowledging series 8 (Doug Grant only), your entitled to your opinion but i strongly disagree. Worse than reality TV i think not

9. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

let the last episode be the judge i say... personally i think what they did in ep 2 was very unimaginative and cringe worthy on Doug Naylors part and as sum 1 said it could destroy the cult all together (i sencerly hope not tho)... depending on the last episode at the very least red dwarf is walking out with a massive strained plot

10. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I presume Lister and the gang are going to see the real life version of Lister now Aka Craig Charles who works on Corrie. Following what was read off the back of the dvd case i cant see why else they would go to coronation street.

11. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

It's obvious Lister's gonna meet Craig Charles, It would be fun if Cat,Rimmer and Kryten could meet Danny John-Jules,Chris Barrie and Robert Llewellyn aswell but I doubt that will happen....

12. grabit1142

grabit1142 Skutter

I'm a 1st time poster and doubt that anyone will read this, but if anyone does here goes my theory.....

Theory One: The reality that the boys from the Dwarf have entered into is not our real universe or a legitimate parallel universe, it is a pocket universe generated by Katerina Bartikovsky's machine.

Theory Two: The boys from the Dwarf are hallucinating, the squid was in fact a despair squid and has been causing the crew to hallucinate the entire time, except for Kochanski and Holly who will save the day!

Just my 2 cent.

Roll on episode 3 !!!

13. Dawatticus

Dawatticus Third Technician

OK! I had to register just to post this! I only found this website a few years ago when we were still following the possibility of a red dwarf movie ( obv that failed ) .... and now weve arrived here... and i honestly have to post.

When I heard we were getting these few new episodes, I was excited beyond belief, and sat waiting to hear when wed actually get to see them. Once I found out the air date I begun to watch all of the episodes, from the first right up to the end of season 8..... So i think im probably more qualifed to speak than a lot of the people here who are speaking through " rose tinted glasses "....

Watch any other episode, the " audience " laughs, but it wasnt really funny in the slightest... but your brain says " HAH! that was a funny so ill remember that for the future " ... most of red dwarf was a few lame jokes and a couple of " HAH!s" and thats with me really watching every single episode online ( www.watchreddwarf.com ) hopefully that wont be deleted as in the UK its not illegal to WATCH " pirates material "its only illegal to do the uploading ( hence bittorrent getting a huge amount of attention, as when youre downloading youre uploading - e.g breaking copyright law by sharing )

SO far, as far as i can see ( remember ive just watched every single episode back to back ) is these episodes are identical to what weve seen before EXCEPT for the laughter in the background.... but surely you dont have to be told when to laugh... when it comes to Red Dwarf the jokes have always been right there in your face... and ive laughed a smegload since these new episodes have been airing..

Now think about this for a few moments, if you dont watch it... thats it... its the " end of red dwarf " forever.... but if you all keep watching it to make sure the finale gets a really high rating and the DVD gets good sales, they may bring it back.... and give it a higher budget so they can spend some cashola on setting it up for a live audience and blah blah itll all be back the same as it was..

PLEASE excuse me for my first post rant, its just that ive had a few cans of cider tonight and finally pulled up the bravado to make a post!

Thanks :-) And no matter what you think, were all fans of Red Dwarf so lets keep it Civil! :-)

14. banksrob

Ill go with the 1st one but would like the 2nd with the appearance of Kochanski and Holly.

15. jennytablina

jennytablina Skutter

Part 1 Subtle Humor list

Rimmer and the Scutters
    Listers discussion with Rimmer leading to the sneeze
    "testicles"
    "What if I flush all the tuna supplies off the ship?" "I'm in!"
    "tears" on Sense and Sensibility
    "Rimmer come on you smeghead pull us up!" "It's always you you you! How about me? I have to deal with seeing the monster tearing you limb from limb!"
    "You could of gotten us killed!" "...is this about you again?"
    "Bit Crap"
    "You really dont like me do you?"
    Katerina being suggestive then actually coming up with a dimension theory

Part 2 Subtle Humor list
    "Its not gonna work, I could end up in your head for all I know!"
    "15 inches of crotch throbbing pixel goodness!" "Need something smaller, its for the bedroom"
    "sensors indicate he has a small penis"
    Escalator scene
    Video is the future
    Listers toliet adventure
    "A three parter? I hate three parters!"
    Couch fishing
    Pretty much entire sci-fi shop scene
    Rimmer reading SFX magazine
    *old man pointing to cat* "Your brain made there too, it was a Friday!" (BBC used to make lame props on Fridays)

16. banksrob

Agreed, Because the budget of this was the the same as what it was for an episode of season 2! Ill be buying the DVD that's for sure

17. mikehaseloff

mikehaseloff Third Technician

For anyone keeping score, notch up another satisfied viewer.
    A smoother ride than the first part, and very satisfying.

Some great gags, some plot progression, and sufficient levels of ponality!

18. Dawatticus

Glad to see someone sees what im getting at! I was honestly terrified of posting here, after seeing the latest criticisms of Red Dwarf! :-D

I dont know if any of you are familiar with " Serenity " ... that movie was only made, to finish of a TV Series BECAUSE the DVD sales made up enough money to cover it. FOX only showed a few of the episodes AND they didnt even show them in order. But when the fans put their heads together and realise " wait a second, if we watch this crap .... money is money someone will realise this " it ends up working in the fans favour!

So this is the DAWACALL to everyone! Watch EVERY EPISODE!!! Get everyone you know to watch the repeats and lets all buy the DVD and lets hope that they bring Red Dwarf Back! And if they dont, follow the standard set by a few US Shows... and send smelly smegging socks to DAVE.. and force them to bring it back before they end up being forced into another reality to escape the smell! :-D

19. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Just watched this again. I'm still laughing at the jokes but I cant get past the breaking of the 4th wall thing. I don't like the idea or the way some of it has been handled. The way the scene where they find out was written and acted was truly awful. I'd go as far as saying I love the jokes but hate the plot. Very weird. Tomorrow, the soap I cannot stand...

20. Dawatticus

Yeah but just remember, these are your fave characters BEGGING to let the show continue! :-D
    ( another edit here )
    IT has made us just as part of the community as them! If we beg enough, as much as them.. we might get another series. And Seriously, what would you rather have a little " sub standard Red Dward ((by your own opinion , as i think its pretty standard))" or no Red Dwarf at all!!!

( Edited to remove the quote etc, because hes right above me :-) )