Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sleepasylum

sleepasylum Third Technician

why do you think people arent noticing enough of the story? i think most peoples gripes are that the show is parodying itself in a really obvious unfunny way! i understand that this isnt going to be a true reality, but seriously, more funny jokes please. more witty rimmer lines. whats kryten been doing?

2. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

I can't remember specifics but I've seen some stuff they've done before and since and none of its that memorable (obviously!) I think Red Dwarf may well be their one 'Big Idea' and maybe they and we should be glad of that.

Its like the Rocky Horror Show. Richard O'Brien could never match it, even though he tried enough times.

They say we all have one good creative idea in us. Still trying to find mine :roll:

3. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

Personally, quite a well adjusted fan it seems.
    Wish they hadn't to totally be honest!
    And don't think for one minute this is any kind of 'thank you', if anything it's the bare minimum required to prolong the royalty cheque.

It's a pilot? Yikes. No, I wasn't expecting anything greaat, but I was expecting better quality than this.

I don't think anyone was expecting them to be, likewise we werent expecting them to be quite this poor. Really, how can you watch it without blushing at the sheer awfulness of it? Truthfully?

Listen, its not about comparing it with anything. I'm watching it as a standalone piece, and it's dreadful. Yeah 2/3 so far, the , best out of three, the games over.

It won't. Really, it won't. The words shot and foot spring to mind.

no, really, they're rubbish. They're certainly not a good showcase by any stretch of the imagination. Please less of the sycophantic gushing. We will all buy the DVDs, we all know that, and that's the reason - that we'll consume any old garbage as long as it had red dwarf on it - that got this made in the first place. No-one wanted to make it, but thoughts of long tail dvd sales, comparatively mega ratings for Dave and loads of Dave PR coverage for a week or so - that got it out, that's all they care about, and its worked - it'll sell shed loads of dvds, because, lets be honest, we'll all buy it...NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT IS, they can get away with minimal standards. Comments like yours do not help. So no, it certainly does not need our support. If anything we need to make a stand against this rubbish, lets not just fawn over it and buy into it. Send a message, if you want to maintain fans you'll need to produce half decent stuff. right?

We should be grateful? Get out of here!

4. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

I thought the jokes were aplenty in tonight episode as they were lacking in part one which was still good. Especially the TV store guy and the PSI scanner. Made me laugh so hard. Whats annoying me is how many people think its red Dwarf back on the "Real Earth". I think it definatly warrants a new series :P

5. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Let it go? Just because you didn't like the episodes shown recently? What about the people that did enjoy the episodes. Let me clarify. How many episodes were made? Tomorrow's (today?) will be the 55th. How many of those are classics? 5 -10? What I am saying is I can't believe many people, you included expect these episodes to be amongst that top 5 of "the best episodes ever" is how I think I described them. That's all. If you expected that, which again, correct me if I'm wrong, you did... then I think you are either too optimistic or a fool! I said I liked them - I do. I never thought they'd be the best ever and I was right, but they were far from the worst. They were very enjoyable to me, and plenty of others. So, the thrust of my argument was simply to say, bring on the new series' - they may hit gold like they did in series 5, 6 etc... If you expect them all to be "the best ever" then you are bound to be disappointed. The quality has never been - in my opinion - always up there.

6. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

People have noticed, but even if it's not reality it's a cheap cop out. They're in a place that's 99% like our reality. Some huge coincidence that is. I mean we know they are tv characters in real life and almost everything in the new shows right down to the DVD covers and merchandise is the same as it is in real life. That's too close.

Also the only reason there can't be a 9 is if they really are tv characters because in that reality there has been a season 9. If that's all a load of rubbish and our realities are seperate then the next series could be called series 9 because the idea that season 9 has happened is only something that is told to them on earth - events hapen inbetween 8 and this special but if Red Dwarf is not fictional then their lives don't have seasons and there can be huge gaps between.... hope that makes sense.... no probably not, man this story line is smegged up.

On a different note, this is the first time that I haven't even cared if it's funny or not. I always loved Red Dwarf most because it was a comedy (though I like sci fi) but the sci fi has actually killed a large part of the show for me with the breaking of the 4th wall. I don't even care about it being funny because it's more important that the basic theme of the show not be ruined.

There was a really bad review for Red Dwarf in the times today and I really fear Red Dwarf has it's reputation on the line, to be honest the last episode I thought was great was Tikka To Ride. Now I think it could be funny again, but this 4th wall thing has really smegged it up in my opinion...

7. Mozoishere

We should be 'grateful'? Um...so did the actors do this for no fee then? Will the DVDs be given away gratis? Did the writers, production crew give thier time for free? Is Dave donating all the proceeds from its advertising during the shows towards the budget for another proper series of Dwarf?

Otherwise its just a TV show and it stands or falls on its own merit. Not because we all blindly support it in the hope that next time it'll be better. That's just madness and not a particularly good way to ensure the show returns. It needs a wider appeal to justify being re-commissioned. I mean if hard nosed Dwarf fans don't find it entertaining how will someone who's never seen it before respond?

8. singlealbum

singlealbum Skutter

Ouch - I really loved your answers and agreed with them 100%. You've made Back To Earth something to laugh about :-D

9. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

Just to point out, Lister didnt read chinese, it was written underneath in English, in white lettering.

Everyone who missed that has to go back and rewatch it now, to see what else you missed ;-)

10. jennytablina

jennytablina Skutter

Haha ta very much, though I imagine it'll get buried under a bunch of other 1 post newbies declaring how much they hated it because of breaking 4th wall and lack of laugh track. : (

That said, I can understand people being a little miffed but I think some people were maybe expecting a little too much. A case of rosetinted glasses for the old eps working against the non-rosetinted new episode. There are some faults here but clearly these episodes have been a labour of love. People should try rewatching both parts, the humor here is subtle and theres so much worked into the visual design and the way the characters talk. I appreciated part 1 much better on second viewing when I noticed all the neat little touches and stuff going on.

Incedentally: if you cant get Bladerunner, the Wikipedia entry is a good way to compare plot points: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

If you havent seen the movie and are waiting for part 3, skip this unless you want to spoil the potental plot for episode 3.

11. reddwarf_rocks

reddwarf_rocks Skutter

how many minutes in was it?

12. Mozoishere

Please God don't tell me that Doug Grant is going to be playing a cameo homage to Tyrell! Although i'd love to see Kryten deliver the line "I want more life F***er". Possibly crushing his head might be a step too far but I'll reserve judgement on that until I see the last episode :-)

13. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

Agreed - I've watched both at least 3 or 4 times each now, and they definitely improve with additional viewings.

14. sleepasylum

sleepasylum Third Technician

how is the humour subtle? i keep hearing people say this but id tend to disagree and think its completely the opposite!

15. Mozoishere

If by subtle you mean barely discernible I'd agree.

16. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

Ouch has said everything I would have said really.

The worst kinds of fanboys/girls really are the kind of blidnly faithful, bleating sheep that will just eat up whatever they're offered because they regard it as better than nothing.

Quality doesn't matter a damn, just keep em coming because then if you don't I'll have to go outside and communicate with those fleshies.

There are clearly sensible people here, unfortunately there are also the kind who feel it's their duty to leap to the defense of their hero and how dare we dismiss any aspect of the show.

17. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

After a couple rewatches, my going theory is that they ARE replaying the despair squid thing. Even the little Edward James Olmos (Gaff) origami pieces that the Cat keeps leaving behind are in the shape of squids.

I'm really loving this, if for nothing else than that Blade Runner is one of my absolute favorite movies. The nose guy and the photo enhancement scenes had me rolling. Rimmer saying "Questions." in the exact same tone as Roy makes me hope some other classic dialogue gets repeated (or paraphrased in Red Dwarf Style - "I want more life, smegger!." Heck, Lister has already paraphrased Leon's "What's a tortoise?" line. What's an iguana?

I can't wait for tomorrow night. If they do Roy's closing monologue, I will be in utter bliss.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Mining ships with radiation leaks off the shoulder of Orion. I saw holograms glittering in the dark on supply deck J. All these moments will be lost...in time...like fresh air in Lister's quarters two hours after curry night.

People who don't know Blade Runner must be very confused.

18. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

SPOILER ALERT: I don't get all the hate, here. What did you want -- series 6 1/2?

I like it, so far. Ep1 was definitely a bit slow, but in retrospect it set the stage for Ep2, which I liked a LOT. OK, so they are fictional characters.... um, remember "Back to Reality"? And as for "ripping off" Blade Runner.... um, "Polymorph" = "Alien"? It's not like they haven't played homage to / satirized other movies before.

In the end, my concern will be how re-run worthy this special will be for me. I think Ep2 certainly has a shot, at the very least. It's already a step above most of Series 8 in my book, and rivals the better episodes of Series 7. No, it's not the classic eps of the Grant/Naylor era, and it never will be. I just appreciate that we have this special AT ALL. Unless Doug Naylor does something really nasty in Ep3, the future DVD will definitely be on my wish list.

And lastly...as a US fan, you should appreciate that you even HAVE this special to watch (and criticize) in the UK. There are others of us that have to hope that a few of you are nice enough to find ways to get the rest of us to see this. I guess one good thing about living in the US is that there was no media blitz on this, so my expectations were probably not as high as yours.

19. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I like this:-D I just spat out my coffee:lol:

20. DocHilda

DocHilda Third Technician

Hi! I'm also new to this forum, though a long standing RD fan.
    my main comment it that RD has done this 'alternate reality messing with heads thing' before but hasn't had to resort to breaking the fourth wall - it's been much cleverer than that. I mean Back To Reality was a genius way of doing that. Being on a backwards Earth was also much funnier. Agreed that some of the jokes and back references in BTE are great, but really not keen on the plot thus far........

So far, a tad disappointed overall. I think it's really missing the laughter track - it's a sitcom that has traditionally always had one. You can tell where they were pausing for it too (well they are comedy actors)! Also think some of the music is a bit odd. No disrespect to the mighty Howard Goodall of course, but things like the gravestone scene in BTE1 I honestly think they should have dug out the old 'sad/obsvervation deck' music from series 1 & 2 there.

Generally I think RD started to go downhill a bit when Rob Grant left. Dont get me wrong there are some good episodes in series 7 & 8, but the not so good outweighed the good, and clearly the series missed having his edge to things. BTE would no doubt be a very different beast if they'd got him back on board. I'm also missing Holly. I know that they coped without him in series 6 & 7, but it seems wrong to be back on the Dwarf without him y'know?