Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

May as well chime in here. I said it yesterday and I'll say it again, I cannot believe how self indulgent and ungrateful you people are! For the past ten years I've skimmed the IMDB boards, seen references to a film that was promised time and time again, listened to the commentaries from the cast hinting at another series. Nobody ever thought it would acvtually happen if they're honest. Now it has happened you lot can't stop bloody slating it! What kind of fans are you?

Do you not get it? This is a huge thank you to you, the fans for your enduring loyalty. Don't throw it back in their faces. A lot of people I'm quite sure have gone out on a limb to bring this series back. They didn't have to you know!

It's an answer to all those requests over the past decade - yes, DECADE - for more Dwarf. It is not a film. It' is not a series. It's the best you're gonna get - a PILOT to see if this new series can be commissioned. Yet, you miserable undeserving bunch want a gold-plated series 6 grand finale!

For the record, I am a fan of the new shows. You seem to miss the fact that Red Dwarf is not well regarded amongst the general populous. I'm sorry, but it's true. I am genuinely shocked to see the level of venom being pointed to this trilogy. They are not the best episodes ever, but why on Earth should they be? It's like comparing series 1 with series 5, 6 - generally regarded as being the best ever. If the show gets picked up, who knows how many more great episodes are in the bag? It needs your support - the current shows are a fantastic showcase for Red Dwarf. They're getting top ratings, they look great, the cast is on board, a great new character, there's life in the old dog yet! Bring on series X. Bring on Red Dwarf The Movie, I say.

2. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I think that was me, and someone else said it afterwards too. I'm treating these as spinoff shows that have nothing to do with the other shows and I pray to god that if there are more, they totally ignore these.

The show was funny but breaking the 4th wall has really made me quite sad (as well as the feeling that these shows are a big plug for Channel Dave) Even if at the end they say the red dwarf crew are really real and this was a VR game, a hallucination or an alt dimension, it doesn't matter because they have ened up in a place very like our earth so it still feels that they've broken the 4th wall.

I think Rob Grant may never forgive Doug. In VII he brought in the new annoying Kochanski, in series VIII he resurrected the entire crew and now he's made them fictional characters. I had no problem with the second of those things, could forgive the 1st but this one is really hard to take. A shame, since the comedy was alright in this episode.

Now cacking my pants as I await the coronation street bit, since I can't bloody stand that show, I only hope the crew somehow blow the place up and it really happens in our universe :lol:

3. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

tinstar look for sum ppl including myself its hard to pick anything positive out of that second episode i know we all have mixed oppinions sum ppl like the second 1 better... the thing is i just wish Doug Naylor would have used his imagination... theres better and funnier ways to bring Red Dwarf back to earth other than doing the dreaded breaking of the fourth wall

4. grabit1142

grabit1142 Skutter

I'm a 1st time poster and doubt that anyone will read this, but if anyone does here goes my theory.....

Theory One: The reality that the boys from the Dwarf have entered into is not our real universe or a legitimate parallel universe, it is a pocket universe generated by Katerina Bartikovsky's machine.

Theory Two: The the boys from the Dwarf have are hallucinating, the squid was in fact a despair squid and has been causing the crew to hallucinate the entire time. Kochanski and Holly will save the day!

Just my 2 cent.

Roll on episode 3 !!!

5. BobbyWalter

BobbyWalter Skutter

I completely agree.

I think the reason that some people don't like is that most people can't find the funny in the show without the laugh track.

The DVD will sell. The Dwarf will go on.

6. jennytablina

jennytablina Skutter

Fantastic Episode! Loved the Twist

Yesterday one of the gripes was "wait what happened: Kochanski dead? Shiny new ship interior ect." and part 2 answered that burning question quite thankfully. I was worried stuff like that would be held till late in part 3. Plus the answer while satisfying doesnt fill in all the blanks, the canvas for season 9 is still pretty blank (unless we get told what season 9's main storyline was tomorrow)

I did initially when the opening scene switched to the shop, dread how they would handle Dwarf in the real world. But it turned out good, though I thought the arrival into the real world was a little too long maybe (though seeing Rimmers light bee shoot out and cats classy landing was pretty awesome)

Incedentally just a quick muse: a lot of people are complaining about the self-referentual nature of this episode and also characterisation. RD wasnt just all character gags, and the characters did evolve over course of the original series, Lister and Rimmer went from genuinely detesting each other to a more friendly sort of sparing, Kryten became more independent and Cat started taking more notice of things other than himself. Remember that 9 years of passed and we dont know whats happened to the characters to shape them in this ep

Besides this the scene in which they realise they are not real makes sense: These guys have dealt with solitary life on a giant mining ship, invading aliens, emotion eating mutants, crazy viruses, nanobots recreating an entire ship, alternate realities and being pregnant. At this point I think you can forgive Lister and co taking the news they might not be real as just another notch on the wall. Intrigued by Rimmer's pleased reaction that he's not real: maybe this is hope that his real self is a more successful version of him? Lister recovered his posture but as noted with the discussion on the bus, this news is messing with his head a bit. Krytens a mech so such news may not really dismay him but Cats concern was pretty normal for Cat. He always was one to take bad news only to mean his style might be cramped somehow

Plus the show has always been self-referentual or the kind of show that references the current events of the world on occasion. Backwards and Back to Reality and MANY other episodes had additional adventures on earth (Tikka to Ride, Gunmen of the Apocalypse which aired yesterday). Some of these episodes are considered classics despite the self-referencing. The characters have learned a lot about present time earth previous or had some connections to our world (Lister and Cat discussing liking Wilma Flintstone, Listers former obsession with Casablanca, Saving JFK and then making him kill himself when they realise the future got changed for the worse ect.) this is the same as those episodes but they made an effort to make it actually relevant to our time. Though none of the discussion points are ones that will age badly or too vague to remember in a few years time

Part 2 seems to be something of a loveletter to the fans and longtime watchers and an additional tease to newer viewers to check out the older episodes. Its also something of a rimshot to people who are moaning here as Rimmer calls em out a few times. ("Ugh a 3 parter I hate those, what if I'm out one night, what if I forget to set the recorder? what if *adbreak*") incidentally the adbreak here worked a lot better today, yesterdays seemed to cut right out in the middle of things instead of taking a break. Also love the Kids scene, its a little coy but the Konchanski reveal in that way is genius and the end of the discussion is pretty much what a lot of people might say

Lister: There wont be another season...I'm just a fictional character, I'm not real
    Kids: Well we think you exist!

It might be too sickeningly sweet for some: but its a true line to some degree, people are fond of the characters, the reason its there is because people believe in the characters enough to want to see more of them. Bar the Konchanski discussion I imagine many other fans would of said the same.

I'm a bit nervous about the corrie part tomorrow, but hoping the references to the ITV soap wont be too jarring. My dad who didnt know about them being on the corrie set loved it though and thought it was a great point to end part 2 at.

7. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    Have I got to go out and get Bladerunner now? Dang! ive never ever seen bladerunner but ive noticed a few references in people posts tonight.

BTW Fantastic post jennytablina, thats pretty much what I think about the BTE so far I'm just not a very good writer so only post short msgs on the forum.

8. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

Why on Earth shouldn't they be is the more appropriate question?

Ok so they had a limited time and limited budget, doesnt that suggest they should have left it? If they have to keep it alive by churning out what they regard as sub standard episodes then isn't it time to just let it go?

9. DavidS

DavidS Third Technician

an extended episode is by definition is an extended episode, a TV movie is a TV movie, google it if your not sure, but in film school the difference is very clear, although i did not seem to write it clear enough for some people to understand 8)

10. sleepasylum

sleepasylum Third Technician

nothing really funny about any of these episodes. i laughed a couple times last night but tonight not at all. the psi scan thing gave me a smile but the cast dont seem to have gelled together which is understandable after so many years apart and without alot of rehearsal.

the jokes just arent clever and are written by someone who seems very uninspired. they fall flat, not because of no laughter track. the direction is poor, the acting as mentioned is a little wooden. the space corps directive joke was terrible. dear dear!! im sure the twist tomorrow will bring the plot together in a decent way but for comedy and wit these episodes have next to none.

ill still buy the DVD because ive been a massive fan of dwarf for over 12 years! ill watch a new season but doug really needs to get ed bye back or learn how to move his camera properly. Rob Grant please come back, you were the one who could give those ridicously funny putdowns and one liners that doug can only try and copy.

11. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

i have 80% faith it will be cool once its sorted the 3 parter out etc. dont dimension cuter was made out of squids arm and can also probabl creat a false reality for them to be sucked in to. like despair squid n all that.
    thats why maybe suddenly they didnt exist cos they not real characters in the dimesion they aboutto fall into

12. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Ok, Dumb question, and probably one that proves that I'm not as big a fan of the show as I think. But why did Rob leave?

13. GordonBennett

GordonBennett Third Technician

I'm still confused about where the Cat jumped down from while Lister was grieving in what was clearly a bubble outside of the ship. Was he clinging to the ceiling or something?

14. sleepasylum

didnt want red dwarf to be on his grave... wanted to do other things.

15. 5tephen

5tephen Skutter

if grant comes back i will kiss his feet

16. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

Well, what are we doing here? We're talking about Red Dwarf. I notivce you, I, and a lot of others ahave joined in the last 24 hours. I can respect the fact that you dislike the brand new episodes - I do - but are you saying you enjoy all episodes equally? Of course not - you're missing the point. It's about getting further episodes commissioned. That's all. WOuld you honestly prefer for there to be no more series made on the basis you don't like the first shows in ten whole years! Christ, most shows don't even last half that long! It's about getting this into perspective. Fans like you should be thankful that the opportunity exists to bring on that much talked about, mystical next series. OK, it might be crap. I didn't like series 7 or 8, but there is a will to make this, how do you explain you and I chatting here all this time later otherwise?

17. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

And has he?

18. fireyedd

fireyedd Skutter

I'm still confused about where the Cat jumped down from while Lister was grieving in what was clearly a bubble outside of the ship. Was he clinging to the ceiling or something?

im guessing he was there for the idea it wasn't listers tears on the book it was Kat dripping on it which might of been trying to connote some emotions to the audience or maybe Kat appeared there due to listers strong emotions being the squids weakness i honestly dont have a clue

p.s. also didnt have a clue how to quote

19. sleepasylum

a couple of other shows and wrote a few books. to be honest him and doug were half way through writing another series. then he just left.... no one knows why truly> but im guessing its because doug has a certain way he wants things done creatively and rob got a bit sick of it and wanted to move on,

20. banksrob

banksrob Third Technician

Personally i think its all brilliant and you people are not noticing enough of the actual story. Katrina appeared directly after the squid as Red Dwarf is only capable of supporting one hologram (Rimmer) She could be the squid which is capable of changing reality's, therefore they are not on the real earth but an earth created by the squid (Katerina) Which would explain many things of how they will realise they are not actual characters. Also season 9 cannot take place beacuse it has already happened which would resolve in continuation as season 10 is where Red Dwarf would have to kick off again. Hope i tried to explain this.