Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

Absolutely perfect comparison, it definitely has that feel about it.

2. Reddwarfftw

Reddwarfftw Third Technician

Also, when the guys walk into the dvd shop, there's a dvd on the shelf called D-D-D-Don't shoot with that monkey face. Remember Lister used to always wear that T-Shirt back in early Dwarf??

3. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

and a tenuous link 'Kat'rina? hmmm...

4. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Surely once the '4th wall' has been kicked down you can't put it back again can you? Its already out there, the TV station namecheck, the references to Corrie, the potential that the characters are going to meet themselves as actors, especially if there's going to be a connection to another character that Craig plays in another well known series. That's a step way too far.

Even if they do put it all back in the box at the end they've still rather destroyed the fantasy in my opinon. At best it makes this three parter pointless and at worst its going to leave a long shadow over any subsequent series. A bit like that Bobby Ewing and the shower scene wiping out dozens of previous episodes. True it got the series talked about again but mainly for all the wrong reasons.

5. Flatbattery

Flatbattery Skutter

For all those leaving negative feedback, how can you call yourselves Red Dwarf fans. It has been 10 years since we've seen any new episodes and all you can do is moan.

I am loving B2E so far, and as per typical Red Dwarf style, all will become clear in part 3. Remember, this is one episode stretched over 3 parts. Try watching any episode from series 1-8 in 3 parts 24 hours between each part and you may understand the problem.

6. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

Don't lump Rob Grant in there. He left after series six. This is all down to one man.

Norman Lovett had it right. Doug Naylor wants to do everything himself and isn't very talented at everything.

7. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I loved tonights part in the episode, It made things from yesterdays part a lot clearer. And I thought both parts were hilariously funny. Its great and refreshing to see.

One point I picked up on though from this part and also going back to yesterdays parts too, is there still isnt any explanations as to how they got where they are before BTE began. Am I right or wrong but did Lister not read that BTE follows after series 10 and also that Kochanski dies/dissapear in series 9, By the looks of what I'm seeing this BTE is just a one off special that doesnt really follow any RD stories that have gone before. It looks more like if there are going to be two more series they will explain the gaps leading up to BTE

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

nooo prequels plzzzzz

that means everything u see in BTE will actally be real

9. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

Ooh, good point. Why would the squid go to eat him and then just dump him back on G deck? Unless it doesn't like the taste of STYLE :P

10. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

Yes of course because the definition of a Red Dwarf fan is somebody who doesn;t criticise and just smiles and nods and is grateful that we get to see anything at all, never mind that it's crap.

Seriously, what??

11. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

I think these refs are just playing up to the geeks, Pegg/Wright do it with effortless style... works so well, private in jokes generate geek loyalty. You can understand Naylor wanting to get in on it. I don't think he's quite pulled it off though.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

no prequels plzzzzz

that means whateva happens in BTE is actally real

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Unfortunately I did. Slate it, I mean. It was weird, I just knew within 5 minutes of this one that I was going to enjoy it ten-fold over the first. As someone else said, the first five minutes of this one was better than the whole of yesterday's

14. KugarWeb

KugarWeb Skutter

Hey all, just thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and join in. I just wanted to post something about the whole "they should never have mentioned Dave in this episode". Didn't Blackadder do something very similar in Series 3?

I distinctly remember Edmund saying something along the lines of "I want episodes of my life played out at half past 9 by some giant actor of the time". Now, I realise that Blackadder and Red Dwarf are completely different shows....but there's a similarity. I think this is just Doug Naylor's way of harking back to the old, take the smeg out of itself humour that Red Dwarf started with. Take the "don't give me the Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning" line....

Anyway, as for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it and no doubt my girlfriend will love the Coronation Street reference. I'm not so keen on that myself but I'm definately willing to give it a chance for the story to pan out a little further. Overall I'm enjoying the Back To Earth specials and although it does seem a bit odd with all the "reality" surrounding them, I think all will be explained by episode 3.

I remember Doug saying in an interview, "fans will hate me when the second episode is aired but hopefully they'll like me again after the final episode". That's saying a lot ;-):idea:

15. Mozoishere

Didn't know that [doh]

Explains a lot:?

16. Mozoishere

That's not quite the same as saying "...half past nine on BBC2, be sure to watch now [wink wink]"

17. Flatbattery

Flatbattery Skutter

If it's that bad then why are you still here?

18. DJMagnifique

DJMagnifique Skutter

well, me and the wife thought that epp 2 was alot better than epp 1, at least the story has moved on in epp2, epp1 was just pointless filler stuff that could have been done in 5 minutes.

on the bad side of things though, WHY RIP OFF BLADE RUNNER!!, can't doug think of anything original? although I do like the real life/tv show cross over (good way to break the 4th wall without breaking the 4th wall)

Overall impressions so far, it's not as good as it could have been and it's not as good as any of he previous series' that rob Grant was involved in.

19. DJMagnifique

DJMagnifique Skutter

Stupid board overloaded with users causing me to double post.

20. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Do you know where I could find this interview? I wouldn't mind checking it out :-)