Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Reddwarfftw

Reddwarfftw Third Technician

Mind you, Lister does say in an episode that Kryten killed the crew on the Nova 5 so I guess anythings possible from that hachum babo AKA smart alec metal git. You gotta love him!:-D

2. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

First let me say i still love seeing dwarf back on tv and i'd give anything to see it go back into regular series format. I grew up watching RD. It has been and always will be one of the most funny and crazy shows out there and i continue to watch them on DVD all the time.

However, I don't know what to make of tonight’s episode 2..

I thought episode 1 was good as an intro full of intrigue and nostalgia. I loved the squid attack so much! Episode 2 didn't really have much happen in it. I know they went into the alternate universe but.. something with this plot doesn't sit well with me. It seems almost identical to the League of Gentlemen movie apocalypse where the characters came to life and tried to stop the writers/actors from ceasing production on the show so that they can continue to live... Did anyone else notice this massive similarity?

I think for me this episode was more about questions and answers than laughs. A couple of other things i noticed:

- The homage to blade runner with cat leaving the gold cat things around.. is it just a homage or does it have some other meaning?

- How about Lister reading the Chinese going down the stairs to the model maker's studio and mentioning that he didn't know he could read Chinese.. Could this be a big pointer to a plot twist?

I now believe that this reality is either VR (would explain why Lister can read Chinese) and they have been tricked by Katrina or this is in-fact back to reality part 2 with the squid turning out to be a relative of the despair squad seeking revenge. I really hope this is the kind of way it turns out... because i don't know how i will take it if they making it out to be that they are in-fact just character's in a tv show.. it just isn't red dwarf.

I love dwarf. I can quite honestly say it is my favourite show of any type of all time! I really want them to continue to do a full series of stand alone stories (of which they are best at). I'd love to see Ed Bye come back and maybe even get Grant to contribute to some of the stories with Naylor.

I still can't get this weird feeling out of my head about the massive similarity between this and the league of gentlemen apocalypse. It is almost the exact same plot line.. I really think we need a massive unsuspecting plot twist to shack things up because we only have 25 mins left and i can assume at least 10 mins will be spent in coronation street.. If you look back at what they did in tonight's episode.. it amounts to arriving in an electronics store, riding a bus, listening to kids on the bus and getting the carbug so they can drive to coronation street. In past eps we'd have had the lads fend off a simulate ship and fight inside a western, turn a mechanoid into a human and back again or visit some crazy research station and find a demented hologram woman, mr flibbles and rimmer in plad dresses and army boots... "and you say nothing is amiss?"

I am even now thinking up story lines for example, a goofy Alien homage where rimmer keeps the crew aware of what he see's on the dwarf equivalent motion tracker while dave, cat and kryt are in the air shafts being storked by some slimy slim thing. Hell a new polymorph ep (in polymorph the canister did say "contains 2") and we never learn what happened after we see the thing imitating Dave.

3. frog_girl

frog_girl Third Technician

Surely Kryters wouldn't be that evil would he? :lol:[/quote]

I don't know, he's quite single minded when he wants to be. After all how long did he spend on Nova 5 'looking after' his dead crew?

Ofc I gave up on series 7 and 8 so I have no idea what this bit's about, but I thought I'd add the point.

re links to back to reality - would be kinda cool but hope it's not just a rip-off. Have changed my tagline in honour though. It's a blatant clue, innit ;-)

4. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

yes the episode were probably a test to lead to a new series. But at the end of the day am prity sure these 3 episodes are more anniversary episodes to celebrate the show that is red dwarf.

5. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

Interesting. I strongly believe the origami however its spelt that Cat did has significance to the pyramid in the thames and its jsut an alternative reality where they its a tv show. etc like they thoguht it was a game in back to reality type episode. But wasnt there rumors that a series 9 script was done n bbc didint want to know. so im presuming that'll tie thingd together with series 8 cliffhanger etc i shouldn't wonder. Cos its been writen n half the movie been? filmed kind of so.. hmm interesting.
    all will be revealed but it cud be another despair squid like in back to reality.. hence 2 hardlgiht holograms when they cant really be, different reality etc. i may be way off but never know. and indded craifg will met himself in corrie sorta thing

6. Reddwarfftw

I can't be certain of course, but I'm 99% sure that the finale will not end with all this breaking the fourth wall stuff being real.

7. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

I don't know, he's quite single minded when he wants to be. After all how long did he spend on Nova 5 'looking after' his dead crew?

Ofc I gave up on series 7 and 8 so I have no idea what this bit's about, but I thought I'd add the point.

re links to back to reality - would be kinda cool but hope it's not just a rip-off. Have changed my tagline in honour though. It's a blatant clue, innit ;-)[/quote]

was watching this interview with 3 of the actors. craige wasn't there. was in manc. but they mentioned the title back to reality and laughed. so am not sure if they were hitning or not

8. trunksgav

trunksgav Third Technician

or she cud have come from a different reality the female russian-italian hologram

9. Spidery_Yoda

Spidery_Yoda Skutter

Joined up to say I agree with a lot of you.

The direction part 2 went in was terrible. It has severely tainted my image of Red Dwarf, and watching part 2 was painful. I don't think I need to explain why.

I'd much rather it had never been made :-(

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

didnt anyone else just hate the crew looking at the dvds going we are characters from a tv show and getting to grips with it in under 10 seconds

11. yukkaspecial

yukkaspecial Skutter

What is it with these new episodes that the first watch leaves me cold and the second watch is so much better?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

12. Reddwarfftw

As in with any popular sitcom, a comeback is bound to be inevitably hard but I think that Doug and the cast should be damn proud of these two episodes.

13. barn76

barn76 Third Technician

Right I loved BTE part 1 and have watched it 10 times Lol and have only managed to watch BTE part 2 once so far and thought it was interesting although I hated them mentioning the dave channel but am still grateful to Dave for bringing RD back to tv.. I'm praying its all a dream or some weird alien influence over their thoughts as I dont want them to know they are characters in a sci fi sitcom as it kind of ruins it a bit (for me anyway) but episode 3 has still to air so who know's what will happen.. Those things that the cat is making must have a major meaning as he's leaving them like bread crumbs all over the place???? Whats all that about?? They all seemed more relaxed in tonights episode but I missed them being on the ship if I'm honest... I will watch it again tommorrow a couple of times as you miss things the first time around..

14. Kaluss

Kaluss Third Technician

I just can't stop thinking why they went with a plot that has already be done exactly the same way in the leauge of gentlemen movie... I'm verging on changing the bulb....:?

15. Justletmeon

Justletmeon Third Technician

And so Red Dwarf has broken the fourth wall. Gone meta.

The next episode better be spectacular after this.

The jokes were once again weak as. The Space Corps one in particular had me cringing. DON'T ANNOUNCE THE GAG!!!

I hold out no hope for the one tomorrow. I think this is without a doubt, the end of a series I've loved.

Somebody said it was like some Childen in Need special. I agree.

And if that's the plan all along, that we are in fact NOT watching an episode that has any continuity with the series, then precisely, what is the point? Is this supposed to generate interest in new shows? By being hidiously self referential and mining all the great episodes to redo the same old gags??

We deserve better than this.

16. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

I dont think for one minute that they're actually on current day earth as fictional characters, the sudden acceptance and appearance of katrina is, unless I missed something (which is possible), unexplained - so she's probably something to do with the squid, and none of this really happening etc. etc. etc... but even if it isn't really happening, it doesn't excuse the cringeworthy back on earth scenes.

I doubt Naylor is about to do anything worthwhile with these characters. This is the guy's pension, they'll be back on dwarf by the end of ep 3 and everything set up to stretch this out for another 11 years or so.

17. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

I'd love there to be a new series. Maybe something stripped back to the bare bones again like the earlier episodes.

Perhaps I'm being too nostalgic but at least it would be a way of keeping the budget down. Grant and Naylor are a great team but they do have a patchy record outside Red Dwarf so maybe they've just lost that spark as far as the big red one goes. I hope not and if any comminsioning editors are reading this I'd say SHOW THEM THE MONEY!

However I'd also say to the Rob and Doug that if this is as good as it gets now, I'll just stick with my boxed set of DVDs thanks very much.

18. chuunch

chuunch Skutter

Ok, i cant be bothered doing a full review tonight.

Cant say i was overall impressed by part 2. Preferred part one. However i just came to realize something that hasn’t been mentioned before(to my knowledge lol) Anyways, Cat was leaving the origami squid things around(blade runner), is there the possibility that this entire story is linked to Cat? In part one he mentions he was about to be eaten by the squid only to blank out and wake up on G-Deck. Could this be the plot twist we've possibly overlooked? hmmm

19. tingedpython

tingedpython Third Technician

return of the despair squid, maybe, just maybe

20. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

Something is definitely up with Kryters though :-)

Perhaps he's being influenced by some higher authority?