Back to Earth: Episode Two

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Andrew, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I dont think it is on Amazon yet.

I'd hold on to the DVD until it appears then cancel it for the Blu-Ray just incase it turns out to be a mistake, but I doubt it is. Might as well play it safe.

2. Mallen2X4B

Mallen2X4B Third Technician

Weird.
    It was like the one part of Spaceballs, still I'm glad to have it.

3. gwynnie86

gwynnie86 Third Technician

I would love more series, but they will all be of this quality. To be honest the BTE episodes so far are better than series 8...
    But I think we either need Rob Grant back on board, or someone else who can tie plots together. I'd do it!!!

Hey, at least it's got people talking about RD again. I just hope people's don't see these episodes and think that's it...

Mind you, the first episode of Dwarf I ever saw was Cassandra, and I loved it!!!

4. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

I'd love it if it all turned out to be unreal :-)

What if the leviathan in the tank was some kind of evolved version of a despair squid...? I'll applaud if Naylor can do a "hey none of it really happened" twist that differs significantly from "Back to Reality".

5. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

The fact of the matter is that Doug has ventured into very dangerous territory with breaking the fourth wall.... it's something that has been done to death and can be really, really cheesy if done wrong. This was always going to divide opinion and Doug probably knew that... I for one was horrified when I realised they were going this way, but the first two episodes did more than enough to ease my nerves. I don't know how it will all end, but I trust it will be in suitably Red Dwarf fashion!

6. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

If the third episode is as good as the second one, they may stand a chance. There have been plenty more expensive, plot-less, sell outs produced for the TV recently.

I mean, please don't tell me Sherwood Forest pulls in a vastly larger crowd than RD could. One episode had an eclipse, and when the camera turned around, they had forgot to edit out the real moon on the other side:P
    They have perfectly styled hairdo's and wear wristwatches while filming. Talk about high calibre programming. Stop funding other programs and pay for Red Dwarf, BBC! Put 60 minute episodes Red Dwarf on at 9pm and switch back to the testcard screen after Red Dwarf has finished. That'll save you a bit of money. There's never anything good on after 10 anyway. Come to think of it, there's never anything good on before 10 either:twisted:

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Skutter

That's actually a very accurate sentence.

8. Mozoishere

Mozoishere Third Technician

Or a kick in the teeth, depending on your perspective :-)

I'll wait to see ep 3 before I decide. If they're all wearing DAVE t-shirts at the end I think we'll have our answer.

9. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Skutter

It's a massive concept that if I'm honest, would make a great story-arc for a season if it was written well. I'm enjoying this, I love this kind of fourth wall breaking stuff, but a three parter for something so monumentally big - that should be an episode on it's own.

10. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

At this point they have been slobbing around in deep space for 21 years, this isnt the first time they have jumped dimensions, or had experience of others doing it.

They are in a different dimension, after all the time of being in space doing this stuff, this really is just another day at the office for them. It would be really weird if they were all shocked tbh. They entered this dimension from another, they didnt just discover their own original dimension was a fake.

Besides, the psi-scan would have said if there was anything to worry about. :-)

11. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Sorry to get quote legion but... I think these specials will be "greater than the sum of it's (three) parts" :-D

12. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

I noticed it again. Kryten takes the RD DVDs off the shelf without saying anything and THEN looks surprised when he shows them to the others. Also when Lister reads off the BtE case and mentions Kochanski's death, Kryten looks almost..guilty. Hmmmmm.

13. Quiche

Quiche Third Technician

I agree that was always part of the carm, and perhaps some of it would not seem quite so bad if it was being viewed as what it basicaly is and that is just a normal episode stretched out over three parts and interupted with annoying adverts :-D
    As to new posters, that has to be expected on a forum, its the sad fact of us humans that it is only those at the diametric ends of an argument who tend make their feelings known, the bulk of people who may be actually quite content with something rarely in fact comment.

There is nothing wrong with people posting negative comments if they are willing to engage in the general debate, their (perhaps I should say our ;-) ) comments and opinions are just as valid surely?
    I for one am hoping that things will improve, guess we will see.

Yes it has been funny and some bits are clever, but the over self referencing is kinda lame, hell the awefull merchandising shots have been just painful! :shock:

14. thatguymatt

thatguymatt Skutter

I joined to express my opinion on the new episodes, not to slate Red Dwarf. I love Red Dwarf. And the first post of this topic asks you basically to say what you thought about the episode. thats my opinion. I dont think others are posting JUST to post negative comments, Im posting to debate it and find out what others thought about it and discuss the episodes, not that i've any need to explain myself.

15. thatguymatt

thatguymatt Skutter

I joined to express my opinion on the new episodes, not to slate Red Dwarf. I love Red Dwarf. And the first post of this topic asks you basically to say what you thought about the episode. thats my opinion. I dont think others are posting JUST to post negative comments, Im posting to debate it and find out what others thought about it and discuss the episodes, not that i've any need to explain myself.

16. KingDando

KingDando Third Technician

My thoughts exactly. So much so that I said it earlier in this thread...I think :-)

17. pm8rsh

pm8rsh Third Technician

very true. Also the fact that if indeed they were fictional then how was it possible for the device in the show (the red dwarf series in the red dwarf series :s confussing lol) to work. Surly if they were fictional then the device would be fictional meaning it would be impossible for them to exit the tv. Meaning the are real characters, but the world around them isn't

18. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Third Technician

Reminds me of those Orange Mobile ads / movie ideas you see before films at the cinema :-)

19. ohdear

ohdear Third Technician

Long time lurker to the board, but just had to chime in here to say this was possible the most cringing I've ever done
    in front of a tv.

It was on a par to Richard Madeley's Ali G impression - yes that bad! Both me and my girlfriend openly cringing throughout. I had to actually leave the room from embarrassment. Especially to blame; the awkward dialogue, instantly deciding they're fictional characters, shameless 'Dave' references and generally the whole breaking the 4th wall idea feels like cheap and lazy writing.

Even worse than when LoG did it.. I can fully understand why BBC didn't pick this thing up... it just feels amateur. I can only hope 3rd ep is better, but coronation street ffs, will they meet 'themselves'? Please god no, lets hope the Naylor doesnt make a cameo as himself. oh god.

Couple of funny moments in it, at best, I suppose. Don't know how people managed to be in tears laughing - you must have an extremely poor sense of humour.

Disappointed. Sorry fanboys, some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

*relurks*

20. kakchris

kakchris Third Technician

hello i new to the forum and i thought i would take the time of making an account and signing in just to moan and complai about how utterly **** that episode was

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i have read that about 40 times tonight
    now my opinion

i absolutely loved it last night everyone was moaning about lack of laughter and it didnt bother me . have not really heard much about that this evening ... mainly moaning about breaking the fourth wall.. surely u all realise this is meant to mess with our heads and i safely predict that at the end of tommorrow nights episode all will be restored to how it should be ready for a possible next series .. just makes me laugh how people are signing up having a moan and will probably never use this forum again ...what a nation of cheerfull people we are